• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

(Informative) Bone fracture

PheiChi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! 🐹🐻☁️🐨

I just wanted to post this here and hope it will be helpful to someone, since I didn’t find anything about this issue before! :3

A week ago, my black abby Pearlo had a bone fracture. ): The humerus was fractured. It probably happened when I was letting him down. Talking to the vet, he said that it was probably lots of unluck because Pearlo’s bone density is actually ok. It could also be because he’s a bit older and has lost some of his muscle (he’s 5, going 6 this year, and has noticeably lost weight, although he’s eating as usual).

Anyway!
So he got a bone fracture and had to undergo surgery. He was hospitalized for almost 4 days and came home looking sad and weak, but with enough energy to eat. 🙂

However, that was not enough for him yo eat his normal share nor to move around enough.

So, after 1 night of rest/quarantine, I put him back together with the gang to see if he would cheer up. And it worked!

I also gave syringe fed him, gave him some probiotics and did some physical therapy on his arm. Today he woke up looking brighter 😃

So, take home message: do intervene when you think it’s necessary. I do believe that being closer has helped my piggie with his recovery! Also, try to put them back to their routine as soon as possible. Put them in contact with their cagemates and offer them things you know they like. 😃

Ps: pre-operation medications (right after the accident) include pain meds (opioids as well), anti-inflammatory, nausea and bloat meds. Post-operation ones are only normal pain meds and anti-inflammatory.

Pics of the gang this morning ☀️

Attachments

• 80A39FB9-21B3-48E5-8C8E-852483043A72.webp
    80A39FB9-21B3-48E5-8C8E-852483043A72.webp
    43 KB · Views: 7
  • C1CE981D-94DD-4D4D-A82A-182482B9A88D.webp
    C1CE981D-94DD-4D4D-A82A-182482B9A88D.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 7
Hello! 🐹🐻☁️🐨

I just wanted to post this here and hope it will be helpful to someone, since I didn’t find anything about this issue before! :3

A week ago, my black abby Pearlo had a bone fracture. ): The humerus was fractured. It probably happened when I was letting him down. Talking to the vet, he said that it was probably lots of unluck because Pearlo’s bone density is actually ok. It could also be because he’s a bit older and has lost some of his muscle (he’s 5, going 6 this year, and has noticeably lost weight, although he’s eating as usual).

Anyway!
So he got a bone fracture and had to undergo surgery. He was hospitalized for almost 4 days and came home looking sad and weak, but with enough energy to eat. 🙂

However, that was not enough for him yo eat his normal share nor to move around enough.

So, after 1 night of rest/quarantine, I put him back together with the gang to see if he would cheer up. And it worked!

I also gave syringe fed him, gave him some probiotics and did some physical therapy on his arm. Today he woke up looking brighter 😃

So, take home message: do intervene when you think it’s necessary. I do believe that being closer has helped my piggie with his recovery! Also, try to put them back to their routine as soon as possible. Put them in contact with their cagemates and offer them things you know they like. 😃

Ps: pre-operation medications (right after the accident) include pain meds (opioids as well), anti-inflammatory, nausea and bloat meds. Post-operation ones are only normal pain meds and anti-inflammatory.

Pics of the gang this morning ☀️

Hi

I am glad that Pearlo is recovering well from his accident and operation.
The poor guy must have had a poor landing! Please ensure that you set him down on the ground from now on. Breaks are thankfully fairly rare but sprains from bad landings are sadly not. Has your vet checked for potential arthritis in limbs or the spine, which means that he is less flexible in view of his age? I am glad that you were given adequate medication.

We do have actually have a practical post-op care guide, which already contains much of what you are recommending as you may be pleased to hear; including especially the importance of company of their own kind as much and as soon as possible: Wiebke's Home Care Support Guides

We also have a very comprehensive syringe feeding and medicating guide, which may help you with his further recovery. Please be aware that he may take some time to regain weight after such an ordeal and a major weight loss: All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

You can find both links in our extensive guide collection, the link to which you may want to bookmark as our information guides are laid out in there in thematical order and are easiest to find.
You can also find the shortcut to our guides collection by expanding the top bar and then clicking on 'Guinea Pig Info'.
I hope that this will help you in future times: Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

I am wishing Pearlo all the best for a further recovery.

So glad Pearlo has done so well and your love and care has made all the difference x

Back