Inflation of lettuce prices in QLD Australia. Lettuce replacements?

Sarah Jane

New Born Pup
Reaction score
At the moment we have no lettuce in most stores and some stores are selling lettuce for $13 for very small leaves. There was a huge rain event that flooded and wiped out a lot of our lettuce production on the coast.

I feed lettuce everyday as well as other veggies and some fruit but at the moment it’s becoming hard to. What else can I give my piggies that can replace the lettuce for the meantime (will still try to get some when I can) that isn’t bad in larger dosages? Lettuce is the bulk of their fresh greens and then they get capsicum, sometimes apple, sometimes carrot etc.
I space it out so they don’t get too much sugar but yeah.

Is growing your own lettuce from seed an option? I grow a lot of my own veggies (I have an allotment) in summer to reduce the cost of veggies not only for us but for the piggies too.
In the meantime, can you use herbs? Coriander for example is safe to feed daily

A big tub and grow your own! I planted some cos a few months back and it is really good to have it now. It won’t help you in the short term, but if you plant in succession it will eventually pay off …

Coriander can be fed daily. Do you have access to fresh grass? You could pick them some as they can eat this too but make sure to just give them a little bit at first to get their tummies used to it if they've not had it for a while. Best of all, it's free

I feed mine Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber quite a lot as it is very cheap, a little blueberry here and there as a treat.

Currently I am growing coriander, and bell peppers. Once they're ready, I'll feed them to my piggies. You can definitely try growing your own!

The main part of my guinea pigs veg diet for a while was kale, as lettuce was in scarcity. It worked well for them, i have seen a few conversations about kale not being the best in large amount but it worked for us and generally everything can be bad in large amounts.

Grass is also a great option, just make sure to ween them in slowly if it hasn’t been fed in a long time.

I’m now growing my own lettuce in my back garden and it only took around a month and now i have lettuce on supply.
Depending on what shops/produce is available where you are things like spring greens, spinach and cabbage can also be fed, just obviously making sure not to feed too much as they are hefty veg. The three i just listed were on a rotation with kale as the base along with things like pepper, carrot all the basic add ons.

Like others have said above herbs are a great option but my pigs are not keen on them which is why i thought i’d give my two cents.

Back