Indoor temperature

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 147427

Hi I was just wondering what temperature would I have to keep it at indoors so my piggies don’t get chilled as I can’t keep my heating on all the time

Our thermostats are kept at 16.5°c over night so the heating will kick in if it drops below that but it rarely drops below 17°c, we give the pigs a snuggle safe head pad when it’s cold so they have sit in that if they are chilly!

Okay I was just thinking what do I do with my heating when I go away . Maybe I should keep it on auto mode and tell my neighbour to check it’s above 15 degrees or would they be ok if I make sure there is plenty of hay in there cage

Our thermostats are kept at 16.5°c over night so the heating will kick in if it drops below that but it rarely drops below 17°c, we give the pigs a snuggle safe head pad when it’s cold so they have sit in that if they are chilly!
I’m going Away for a few days on the 23rd should I just keep my thermostats on auto mode or will they be ok if I make sure there is plenty of hay in there cage. I’m going to ask my neighbour if she can top up there food and water during the day as I only feed them once a day

I would keep the heating on and just ticking over so it stays above 15 all the time

They still need plenty of hay for eating but any wet hay needs to be removed every day anyway but damp hay certainly won’t keep them warm.

I would keep the heating on and just ticking over so it stays above 15 all the time

They still need plenty of hay for eating but any wet hay needs to be removed every day anyway but damp hay certainly won’t keep them warm.

I’ll probably keep my halo thermastat on auto mode as it’s expensive to keep my heating on constantly

I'd avoid setting to minimum temps. Thermostats calibration can be a couple of degrees out so a setting of 15 could actually be 13 degrees. If the piggies are in a different room to thermostat there will also be variation room to room. My cage thermometer is currently 1.5 degrees below hive thermostat reading.

I'd avoid setting to minimum temps. Thermostats calibration can be a couple of degrees out so a setting of 15 could actually be 13 degrees. If the piggies are in a different room to thermostat there will also be variation room to room. My cage thermometer is currently 1.5 degrees below hive thermostat reading.
My thermostat is in my hallway and my piggies are in the kitchen

Also worth noting you don't want the temp to be too high either. Over 25°C and pigs can start to have issues with the heat.

Do you have a thermometer next to the piggy cage?

Also worth noting you don't want the temp to be too high either. Over 25°C and pigs can start to have issues with the heat.

Do you have a thermometer next to the piggy cage?
No I don’t

Personally speaking if it over 25 it is bad news but this rarely happens in UK and in Scotland where you are even less lol.

The bottom end of temperature I work on premise of it you are too cold then they are too cold. In house they should be absolutely fine

Our thermostat is set at 19 degrees. We don't have the heating on overnight as my husband gets too warm in bed but I close the door to the pigs room (which is the smallest room in the house) and it holds the heat overnight

Our thermostat is set at 19 degrees. We don't have the heating on overnight as my husband gets too warm in bed but I close the door to the pigs room (which is the smallest room in the house) and it holds the heat overnight
Yeah my piggies are on top of my kitchen table so I close over the kitchen door at night

Personally speaking if it over 25 it is bad news but this rarely happens in UK and in Scotland where you are even less lol.

The bottom end of temperature I work on premise of it you are too cold then they are too cold. In house they should be absolutely fine
So would I need to keep the heating on for them if there indoors in my house

if you don't know actually temps. I'd go by the fact if the humans are comfy without heating for 4 days in your home the Guinea pig would likely be comfy also. So trial it whilst you're still at home.

Remember a house with pets is never an empty house (unless the pets have holidays too)

Not at all, when we are out in day at work we don’t keep heating on
Make sure room does not go below 15 degrees ish. It probably won’t unless a cold snap

Yes because even houses can get cold. If you get a thermometer now you can see what temperatures the pig room is like. This way you'll know how to gauge it for when you are away.

At the end of the day you're the one that knows your house. Some houses hold heat, some don't.

You just need to be confident temperatures will stay high enough.

I’m in London and I’m hoping my guinea pigs are ok. As my heating control is a halo and we have set it in auto mode so hopefully there not to cold as I’ve not heard of any problems from my neighbours

I’m in London and I’m hoping my guinea pigs are ok. As my heating control is a halo and we have set it in auto mode so hopefully there not to cold as I’ve not heard of any problems from my neighbours
No problems is a good thing. Try not to worry too much I'm sure they're in good hands. Enjoy yourself. Merry Christmas ⛄

Doesn't halo have an app?

Our heating is hooked up to an app so we can see the temperature and set the heating even when we're not home.

Back