Indoor room conditions

joanneswift813

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question about the temperature of the room I keep my guinea pigs in, which is now starting to get a little chilly for a variety of reasons.

We moved house in July to a place in the country, and my 2 boys now have a room to themselves! In the old house, they were in our lounge, which was centrally heated to 18 degrees and usually sat around 20-21 in the summer. They have a C&C style cage.

In the new house in their own room, they are still within their C&C style cage within the room, but it's all theirs. It's not insulated (walls are breeze block) but there is a first floor room above (not just an external roof). The door and window to the outside are completely sealed. There is a wooden door into the garage which has small gaps around it, we have filled those as much as we can (the gap at the bottom is completely filled now). It's also North facing, so at this time of year no sun hits either of the windows.

We have an electric heater in there, which we have been using, but we've not been keeping the room at 18-22 degrees as I know is most comfortable for them because we would probably need it on most of the time and it would be so expensive! I also know that guinea pigs can adjust to cooler temperatures, but I want to make sure it's not too cold or severe changes for them!

So, this is the current routine. In the morning when I wake up and check on them, the temperature is generally at around 13-14 degrees, depending on how cold it's been outside. Outside overnight it's usually been 7-10 degrees for a 13-14 degrees inside. We then pop the heater on and get it up to 15-16 degrees before turning it off. Me and my husband work from home so are lucky that we can check on them throughout the day. If it drops below 14, the heater goes on for a bit (an hour or so) to heat it up again to 15-16. When it drops again to 14 or less, we pop it back on. Occasionally it has dropped just below 13 if it has been an exceptionally cold night.

I'll be adding a snugglesafe pad now overnight as well. They have 2 houses in the cage - one wood with an open upstairs they can get to and one cardboard (both with 2 doors), and always a very large, fresh supply of hay, in the houses as well as in racks. We regularly poop scoop too and fully clean out once a week.

So that's all the info I think! What are your thoughts on this routine/set up in terms of temperature and their best health given the situation? I would like to know if we are doing enough or if there is more we can do to ensure they stay safe, well and healthy :) or if there are lower temperatures that they would be safe at. Our priority is obviously to ensure their best health, but if there is a safe option to have a slightly lower temperature to save us a bit of money (like, 12-14 degrees instead of 14-16 degrees for example) then we may choose that too.

Sorry for the ultra long post but hopefully the detail helps with the answers! Thanks in advance!

They tend to adapt to cooler temperatures easier than warmer ones.

Provided you are using plenty of hay for them to eat and to snuggle into, along with providing a snugglesafe each, then they should be fine.
(Don’t recommend the use of hay racks as they restrict their ability to be able to forage and play in the hay - so having some loose in their houses will help on that front).

You can also cover the cage with blankets to keep out any draughts or cooler air.
Mine live in my shed and I use silver foil insulation over and around cages along with blankets over. (They used to be in hutches but various things have meant they are in c&c cages in the shed now - far from ideal due to being harder to keep warm).

Hello we worry about our piggies don’t we …too hot too cold.
I can’t offer a lot of advice as my pig ( recently bereaved) lives in a c&c cage indoors ( in my sitting room) and the temperature is generally 18C
I know other people have piggies that live in outside settings and I’m sure they’ll be along to offer great advice
Snugglesafes ( one for each piggy) are ideal as the heat lasts along time
I’d also maybe put a cover over part of the cage at night
drafts must be avoided - are they raised off the ground ?
You could insulate ( from the outside) their c&c which might help
Good luck 🥰

Our boys live inside, overnight in colder weather, we have cardboard around the wall side of the CC cage(also helps a bit with the poo/hay disappearing down the back!), and fleece around the rest to help prevent drafts. The fleece is held up with pegs at the top, we remove it during the day.
We also use snugglesafes- but haven’t started using them yet this year.

Thank you all for your quick replies! That's really helpful. I've pegged up some towels around the edges to give them more protection. Drafts are reduced already because the sides are solid plastic rather than the grates (it's not actually a C&C brand cage, just that style), apart from 2 panels to increase fresh air getting in, but I'll half cover those at the bottom to decrease drafts in this colder weather. I've pegged a towel over half of the top of the cage as well.

How important is it to get air flow in? I notice you've mentioned covering all the grates round the edges and cover the top as well. I've always been nervous about completely covering the cage because I've wanted to ensure they get enough fresh air in. I'm open to doing something different though!

I'll make sure to keep the houses topped up with hay. I haven't been doing it every day and inevitably it goes down heavily over time, but I will make sure I keep it topped up now with the colder weather.

Raising off the ground is a really good point. They are on the ground at the moment so I'll see if I can come up with a solution for that.

I've only got one snuggle safe so I'll get another!

@Piggies&buns - thanks for your comment on the hay racks. The hay isn't in closed racks, my fault for using that word. I use an up turned small wooden tunnel thing at an attempt to keep the hay in some kind of order (rather than flattened and peed on immediately. Inevitablly though... it gets charged through within 10-20 seconds of being topped up :)) however they seem to enjoy destroying it every time I pick it up off the floor and put it back in my make shift holder lol. I've got two of these, and there is a big pile on top of the house with upstairs access too.

Thanks again guys 😊

Thank you all for your quick replies! That's really helpful. I've pegged up some towels around the edges to give them more protection. Drafts are reduced already because the sides are solid plastic rather than the grates (it's not actually a C&C brand cage, just that style), apart from 2 panels to increase fresh air getting in, but I'll half cover those at the bottom to decrease drafts in this colder weather. I've pegged a towel over half of the top of the cage as well.

How important is it to get air flow in? I notice you've mentioned covering all the grates round the edges and cover the top as well. I've always been nervous about completely covering the cage because I've wanted to ensure they get enough fresh air in. I'm open to doing something different though!

I'll make sure to keep the houses topped up with hay. I haven't been doing it every day and inevitably it goes down heavily over time, but I will make sure I keep it topped up now with the colder weather.

Raising off the ground is a really good point. They are on the ground at the moment so I'll see if I can come up with a solution for that.

@Piggies&buns - thanks for your comment on the hay racks. The hay isn't in closed racks, my fault for using that word. I use an up turned small wooden tunnel thing at an attempt to keep the hay in some kind of order (rather than flattened and peed on immediately. Inevitablly though... it gets charged through within 10-20 seconds of being topped up :)) however they seem to enjoy destroying it every time I pick it up off the floor and put it back in my make shift holder lol. I've got two of these, and there is a big pile on top of the house with upstairs access too.

Thanks again guys 😊
I’m just chuckling about your description of your Vandals running amock with the hay - it’s a never-ending task tidying up after these hooligans, isn’t it?

I used to have a cage on the floor in a very draughty old flat. I put interlocking foam mats underneath, then worked well for insulation.

Thanks again guys 😊
You can often find old dining tables for free on gumtree/Facebook market place and Nextdoor and that’d be ideal for their cage
You could then use the underneath for storage

Back