Indoor pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggybaker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two cages in my house, one has Branston the boy in and the other has the mother and two babes in, but god they smell, I am cleaning them out every three days but , wow they stinks, does anyone else have this problem with there indoor pigs and if you do how do you deal with the smell

I mean i do have the window open but with the babies i get worried they will get to cold

I have 2 cages, each with 2 boars in. I have no problem with smell.
I clean the wee corners daily and a big clean once a week.
What are they on? Shavings, fleece etc.....
Maybe the type of bedding.

I think the bedding has a lot to do with it. I clean my cages out twice a week and the cheeky boys hutch 4 times a week, the hutch smells a bit but the cages never do although I use the same bedding-newspaper, aubiose and hay on top. But the hutch has less overall floor space because of the ramp. I am getting a new cage for them in the new year O0

I don't have a problem with my cages smelling(touch wood)
I've got bonnie on shavings with hay on top and I remove any wet bedding daily.Megs on profleece and I just change the paper daily.Once a week I give both cages a thorough clean :)

My piggies are on newspaper, towels then fleece with litter trays containing newspaper then aubiose. They mostly pee in the litter trays (that's where their hay and some dry food is) so that is cleaned out every few days. The main cage is cleaned out weekly and it never smells ;)

Yep, mine are a bit smelly too. I clean them out twice a week but the smell never really goes away.

I am desperate to move them outside but the weather is still a bit cold.

I haven't got a smell other than readigrass! ::) I clean every day though and clean the bases once a week when Peter is off work. :)

I have given them mega clean, and for my faults i have put in saw dust in there just to see if it makes a difference, will be keeping an eye on the whole respiratory situation though,

ive noticed adding a third piggy in my bedroom has made a slight difference. bob and munchie only ever smelled if i used a bedding other than megazorb, or didnt quite clean them out soon enough, but now merlins here there is a slight smell, but not bad.

i think the silly boars must be scenting like crazy ;D

I have Delilah in my room, shes too small to go out with the other girls and is still in quarentine,
She doesn't smell that bad really and we clean it every three days.

I have 2 cages in my bedroom, 1 with 2 boars and 1 with 2 sows in, I use the same bedding in each but my boys smell worse than the girls, the weird thing is the girls are closer to the radiators, I think it could be a boy thing lol

I have two piggies indoors at moment (winter as she is nearly four and i was worried bout the cold) plus fudge to keep her company. I dont notice any smell but husband says they do a little.)

they are on newspaper then tons of hay and a cardboard box to hide in.

Personally I think the worst smell with hay and newspaper is the wet newspaper rather than the piggy pee and poop. I like my combination of fleece on one part of the cage and megazorb/hay on the other and have no problems with smell. The only thing visitors can ever smell is fresh hay!

Guineas should smell of hay or Gorgeous Guineas shampoo in my opinion :)

We use vet bed and the only smell we get is occasionally when the boys are feeling a bit frisky and they start dragging their bums across the floor! ;D

grommit said:
We use vet bed and the only smell we get is occasionally when the boys are feeling a bit frisky and they start dragging their bums across the floor! ;D

Ah... inside out boar flaps. There's nothing more pleasant. :o

He he he he! When we first got them i panicked that they would be emitting that odour constantly!
Luckily they've calmed down lots or i think my OH would have thrown me and the piggies out! ;D

My piggy room has 5 cages in it and my lounge has two. I'm very conscious of the fact that they might smell and I won't notice it because I am used to it. Whenever I have friends round I'm always asking them does my house smell? Then I think but would they tell me if it did? LOL I use megazorb and they always have loads of hay in the cages too. I can smell the hay but I think thats a nice smell. As I'm a childminder I constantly have parents in and out of my house dropping children off. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to leave their children if the house did smell but it always worries me. I'm constantly cleaning cages out!

grommit said:
He he he he! When we first got them i panicked that they would be emitting that odour constantly!
Luckily they've calmed down lots or i think my OH would have thrown me and the piggies out! ;D
One of my boys did this on my jumper the other evening. My worry is that I'll get used to it and not notice it so I go to work smelling like it, everyone will think I've got some hideous odour condition.

I've got 7 inside in 2 groups. I use Aubiose for one group and this definitely helps with the smell, good absorbency. I wonder sometimes if the more you clean them out the more smell they produce - like when dogs roll in muck.

when i clean their cage out the first thing bob and munchie do is drag their bums, and scent the hay ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back