Indoor hutch

Cookieandcrumble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, new here, I’ve just inherited my grandaughters 2 piggies,I’m looking at getting an indoor hutch where they can come and go under supervision without having to lift them in and out.
Has anyone here got one that can advise me on where’s best to get and which one is suitable?
At the moment they’re in a plastic/wire cage but I don’t think it’s suitable for them long term.
Many thanks 😊

Welcome

What sex are the piggies?

Two sows need a cage off 150x60xm but 120x60 as minimum.
Two boars need 180x60cm but 150x60 as minimum.

There is nothing wrong with commercial cages (the wire and plastic ones) provided they meet size requirements. You can buy ramps and bendy log bridges to go over the cage side so they can get out when supervised.

Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

C&c cages are very well recommended for indoor piggies though as c&c are bigger. You can just open a grid to let them out for playtime.

Two sows need a 2x4 c&c and two boars need a 2x5 c&c

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Hutches traditionally are for outdoors so aren’t all that aesthetically pleasing! You can of course use a traditional hutch and just add c&c grids to the front to act as a playpen and then leave the hutch door open. I have four boys (in two pairs) who live in my shed and their set up is like this - hutch with c&c grid playpen attached

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your reply, I have looked at the c&c cubes, but don’t like them nor the cage in at moment....I’m fussy 😂, I’ve plenty of room in my kitchen for a wood hutch and was liking some I’ve seen online, just think they look cosier for them 🤔.
It’s 2 little boys, approx 6 months old, flighty wee things but just taking it slowly till they get used to me 😊

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have looked at the c&c cubes, but don’t like them nor the cage in at moment....I’m fussy 😂, I’ve plenty of room in my kitchen for a wood hutch and was liking some I’ve seen online, just think they look cosier for them 🤔.
It’s 2 little boys, approx 6 months old, flighty wee things but just taking it slowly till they get used to me 😊

In that case you need a single level 6ft hutch for two boys.
Home & Roost sell good hutches. You can find them online.

Do make sure it is a 6ft hutch though and no smaller. The boys are teenagers and lack of space can cause big problems for teen boars.

In that case you need a single level 6ft hutch for two boys.
Home & Roost sell good hutches. You can find them online.

Do make sure it is a 6ft hutch though and no smaller. The boys are teenagers and lack of space can cause big problems for teen boars.
Hi, thanks again, great I’ll check them out,...just measured the cage they came in and it’s almost 2ft too small 😖😖, so guess I’m going to be shopping ASAP.

Hi, thanks again, great I’ll check them out,...just measured the cage they came in and it’s almost 2ft too small 😖😖, so guess I’m going to be shopping ASAP.

Unfortunately most commercial cages are too small for boars. Its something most people aren’t told when they get their cages from pet shops. They are told a 4ft is big enough for two piggies but not told the space requirements differences between boars and sows.

Unfortunately most commercial cages are too small for boars. Its something most people aren’t told when they get their cages from pet shops. They are told a 4ft is big enough for two piggies but not told the space requirements differences between boars and sows.
Just had another look at the C&C cubes. Where it says 2 x 6.....is that 2’ x 6’?
So each panel is 1ft x1ft?
Or am I reading it wrong?

Just had another look at the C&C cubes. Where it says 2 x 6.....is that 2’ x 6’?
So each panel is 1ft x1ft?
Or am I reading it wrong?

No, a c&c grid is usually 35x35cm so a little over 1ft. You must make sure the grids you buy have 9 holes. 8 hole grids means the holes are too big and mean piggies can get their heads stuck in them.
When talking about c&c cages, the 2x5 or 2x6 etc refers to the number of grids. So two boars need a 2x5 meaning two grids by five grids. A 2x5 c&c cage comes in at around 180x77cm. A 2x6 around 220x77cm

So a 2x5 c&c cage is actually bigger than a 6ft hutch. When using hutch measurements that refers to outside so by the time the thickness of the wood is taken into consideration a 6ft hutch is considerably smaller than 6ft inside. Of course there is a difference between the internal and external measurements of c&c cages, ive never found it to be as great as with hutches

No, a c&c grid is usually 35x35cm so a little over 1ft. You must make sure the grids you buy have 9 holes. 8 hole grids means the holes are too big and mean piggies can get their heads stuck in them.
When talking about c&c cages, the 2x5 or 2x6 etc refers to the number of grids. So two boars need a 2x5 meaning two grids by five grids. A 2x5 c&c cage comes in at around 180x77cm. A 2x6 around 220x77cm

So a 2x5 c&c cage is actually bigger than a 6ft hutch. When using hutch measurements that refers to outside so by the time the thickness of the wood is taken into consideration a 6ft hutch is considerably smaller than 6ft inside. Of course there is a difference between the internal and external measurements of c&c cages, ive never found it to be as great as with hutches
Brilliant, thanks so much for helping this thicko 😁😁
I’ll probably drive you mad asking questions 🤣

Welcome to the forum

Do ask away, there’s always someone on here to help you
Can’t wait to see your little boars 😊

Back