Indoor Hutch/Cage Recommendations

DanL

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We currently have a Bluebell outdoor hutch with a thermal cover, but being a softy I am already concerned our little pigs are going to get too cold over the winter. So I decided I'll bring the hutch indoors.

I currently line the hutch with wood shavings but wasn't sure we wanted the inevitable mess and smell they bring. Someone my wife knows suggested using fleece liners, which we thought was a great alternative. So I measured the hutch and to my horror it is only 5ft (I was sure we had bought a 6ft hutch, but apparently not!). This is a problem as we now have four pigs and it clearly isn't quite big enough....

SO ... I am now on the hunt for an indoor hutch/cage of some sort that will fulfil the 6ft needs of our four little pigs. It's all a bit bewildering to be honest! Looking at Pets At Home (where the Bluebell hutch came from) even their indoor Ferplast cages only go up to 140cm, which by my calculations in only 4.5ft!

Can anyone recommend anything? I see C&C cages are all the rage, but not sure how suitable they will be. Ideally I want something on a stand, if that's even possible. I'm open to something pricey if need be, I just want to make sure they have what they need asap.

Pets at home do a 6ft hutch. we have one at the rescue, it needed the doors and solid sections swapping about so it was easier to clean as there was a solid panel in the middle (made of 2 panels) of the 2 doors which you couldn't get in to very well to clean. So one of the volunteers only used 1 panel in the middle and put the other panel on the far left of the hutch. But its a good hutch.

So for four piggies you need a minimum of 6ft but 7ft is recommended.
the best way to achieve this is with a c&c cage and you would ideally need a 6 grid by 2 grid cage (5 grid by 2 grid minimum)

So for four piggies you need a minimum of 6ft but 7ft is recommended.
the best way to achieve this is with a c&c cage and you would ideally need a 6 grid by 2 grid cage (5 grid by 2 grid minimum)
5x2 would fit perfectly in the intended area. 6x2 would prevent a door from fully opening :-(
The alternative is 6x2 on the other side of the room, but it would be right next to a radiator, which is probably not a great idea.

Oh the dilemma! ..time to go measure again and see if there are any other options.

Either way, one of the two I linked above will be ordered today. With stand and loft/ramp.

Just a suggestion, but with C&C cages you can make all sorts of shapes. If it fits the room better, you could have an L shaped cage (eg. 2x3 joined with a 2x3, etc) or a wider cage with less length (eg. 3x5, 4x4, etc). The only problem with a wider cage is you would have to source the corflute yourself (or you could buy 2 2x4 or 2x3 bases and join them together).
But if you can find space, a 2x6 is a great size for 4 piggies, and much easier to buy and essemble.
Good luck 😊

I've found a better spot so can accommodate a 6x2!

The custom C&C builds are intriguing, but for simplicity sake I need to get something a little more standard for the moment.

I'd like to get one without a lid/roof ideally. We don't need one as have no other animals in the house and our children are of a responsible age. The idea of leaving the top exposed worries me slightly .... i see they are highly unlikely to try and climb out though?

I wouldn’t worry about them getting out, most people we know with guineapigs (we have an Instagram page so it’s a lot) have open cages!

Our cage is raised on cupboards so it’s pretty heigh and I’m not concerned they would ever get out!
image.webp

Last edited:
Finally received the cage and fleece liners yesterday and assembled this morning. Moved them in a couple of hours ago and they are absolutely loving it! I've never seen them run circuits before, but they did almost immediately and seemed so excited! :) Really pleased with it.

Attachments

• 62140526-40E1-4DBC-8959-148DB89E17C8.webp
    62140526-40E1-4DBC-8959-148DB89E17C8.webp
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 6ADD9F39-D648-4C90-9DAC-6559F7ADAE13.webp
    6ADD9F39-D648-4C90-9DAC-6559F7ADAE13.webp
    124 KB · Views: 18
  • 241AD7F5-4F82-401F-8B6B-2F5FC29F9466.webp
    241AD7F5-4F82-401F-8B6B-2F5FC29F9466.webp
    79 KB · Views: 18
Back