indoor cuddles for outdoor pigs?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
so i’m still letting my girls settle in for a bit longer before trying to hold them but i’ve suddenly just thought.. i was planning on bringing them inside for cuddles and lap time, iv got an indoor run with mat for them so while holding one the other can run about and explore, but, will it be too much of a temperature change to take them from outside to inside, then back outside again when its time to go in the hutch? its never too hot inside and probably wouldn’t be too much of a difference.. i never thought about it with my old piggies and didn’t ever have a proper so i’m probably just over worrying!

It’s fine to do this for the next few months (Until autumn) in the part of the day where there is least fluctuation

You can’t do it in winter though as that is too much of a change - unless you can keep the room they are coming into as cold as outside (you’re probably not going to want that midwinter!)

so i’m still letting my girls settle in for a bit longer before trying to hold them but i’ve suddenly just thought.. i was planning on bringing them inside for cuddles and lap time, iv got an indoor run with mat for them so while holding one the other can run about and explore, but, will it be too much of a temperature change to take them from outside to inside, then back outside again when its time to go in the hutch? its never too hot inside and probably wouldn’t be too much of a difference.. i never thought about it with my old piggies and didn’t ever have a proper so i’m probably just over worrying!

Hi

The problem only comes in the winter months when you need to insulate your hutch thoroughly and ideally move under cover anyway. Guinea pigs are not winter hardy. If the insulation is done properly, there is no issue with you bringing your piggies inside because the temperature jump should not be so massive as to cause problems.
You can manage that aspect with a termometer in the sleeping compartment of the hutch.

Please also read up on hot weather care, which is your more pressing problem for the coming months.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

It’s fine to do this for the next few months (Until autumn) in the part of the day where there is least fluctuation

You can’t do it in winter though as that is too much of a change - unless you can keep the room they are coming into as cold as outside (you’re probably not going to want that midwinter!)

thankyou! glad i asked then! i might even get a thermometer for inside to check the difference, how many degrees is too much of a difference would you say? is there a set limit people tend to stick too? haha id definitely give it a try if it meant i could have cuddles with my girls!😆

thankyou! glad i asked then! i might even get a thermometer for inside to check the difference, how many degrees is too much of a difference would you say? is there a set limit people tend to stick too? haha id definitely give it a try if it meant i could have cuddles with my girls!😆

Ideally you keep any temperature jumps to around 5 C/10 F at any time of the year (except excessive heat, which piggies really struggle with). Guinea pigs manage their body temperature via increased blood flow through the skin but especially the ears, which is not as quick or as efficient as human sweating.

Generally, if you have to wear a pullover, your piggy is feeling cold and when you are feeling hot, your piggies are likely already overheated. The first chapter in our hot weather guide (see link in my previous post in this merged thread) deals with this aspect; you may find it helpful.

I would also say you keep them together when doing lap time. Safety in numbers and also having comfort of their friend. Also just be aware they may not like being held. That way any cuddle/stroke you have is a blessing 😉

Hi

The problem only comes in the winter months when you need to insulate your hutch thoroughly and ideally move under cover anyway. Guinea pigs are not winter hardy. If the insulation is done properly, there is no issue with you bringing your piggies inside because the temperature jump should not be so massive as to cause problems.
You can manage that aspect with a termometer in the sleeping compartment of the hutch.

Please also read up on hot weather care, which is your more pressing problem for the coming months.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

okay thankyou! they are in their own shed anyway and currently looking into getting it insulated! thanks will do!

Ideally you keep any temperature jumps to around 5 C/10 F at any time of the year (except excessive heat, which piggies really struggle with). Guinea pigs manage their body temperature via increased blood flow through the skin but especially the ears, which is not as quick or as efficient as human sweating.

Generally, if you have to wear a pullover, your piggy is feeling cold and when you are feeling hot, your piggies are likely already overheated. The first chapter in our hot weather guide (see link in my previous post in this merged thread) deals with this aspect; you may find it helpful).

thankyou so much for all the information and advice!

I would also say you keep them together when doing lap time. Safety in numbers and also having comfort of their friend. Also just be aware they may not like being held. That way any cuddle/stroke you have is a blessing 😉

okay! to be honest i used at have my three girls on my lap at the same time!😆 ill try to find some pictures! ah yes of corse, they have been held and cuddled since being born so hopefully they won’t mind!🥰can’t wait to introduce you all to my new babies! as soon as i can handle them i will!❤️

We have a special Starter Collection of practical tips and important information for new owners to help them to a good start. You may want to bookmark the link, browse, read and re-read at need - often you will pick on different things depending on the level of experience when reading our guides but they work for any level.

Here is the link: New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Back