Indoor cages - recommendations for a portable, roomy and safe run please.

RuthieW

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm researching some appropriate indoor runs for my boys for when they are visiting their Human Granny during our holidays. Much as we would love it we decided a camping holiday is not a place for guinea pigs :(
To give them plenty of space (their run here is 2m x 1m and I wouldn't want them to be back in their Ferplast 120 cage for too long given they are nearly fully grown)
I have seen some multi layer runs, but the ramps look quite steep. Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Eventually they will be able to have some floor time, my mums house is a safe environment (no other pets) but they are still getting used to handling so I would prefer mum to keep them in the run for the first holiday at least, as once out and about they can be tricky to get back without plenty of treats.

Any advice is very much appreciated.
It's the first time I will be leaving them.

I always think C&C grids make the perfect temporary run.
They can be cable tied together, so fold down flat for storage and transport, and can fit any available space.

If you place a waterproof layer underneath (waterproof table cloth, shower curtain), then an absorbent layer (old towels or disposable puppy pads) and add a fleece layer on top and you have the perfect piggy set up.

I would just purchase some spare C&C grids and zip tie them all together to they fold up and use a shower curtain as a base, that’s what we do when our boys go away to we have other piggies to stay!
This is Percy and piglet who we look after and their temporary set up!

Attachments

• 5ABB27BC-869C-43ED-996E-E24B68AB4148.webp
    5ABB27BC-869C-43ED-996E-E24B68AB4148.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
Multiple level cages aren’t suitable for guinea pigs. They are ground roaming and upper levels don’t count towards the cage size. The cage, even a temporary one, needs to be a good size and single level.
For boys, you would need a minimum of 150x60cm.

my boys live in my shed but I have spare cages for when they come indoors. I have a ferplast plaza 160. I like this cage but it isn’t portable! So my portable cage is simply c&c grids cable tied together (all except the end grids) so they concertina up flat for storage. When needed I simply put down a plastic sheet to protect the floor, unroll the c&c grids and pop the connectors on to secure it (then simply add bedding and piggies!)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was coming to the conclusion that C&C is the way to go. We can easily fit a 150x60 at my parents (mum offered to make a 2mx1m space by moving furniture around - a proud Cavy Nanny) and there plenty of pre made liners etc available.

I'm loving the Caravanning Cavies website. We were thinking of moving from tent to caravan at some point; this may have decided it! (though the other half has just gone a bit pale :eek:)

thanks everyone! I have purchased a C&C cage, it has a loft (it came with it) but they seem to have taken to going into there 'penthouse'. They are have a few nights settling in before the move to mums tomorrow. They have their Haypigs hideys and tunnels to take so they have their familiar things.

Well I'm happy to say the holiday went brilliantly and they have already got stays at human nanny's lined up for August (I did think I was going to get into custody battle at one point) Realised we needed the other halfs van to get a 5x2 base there, but the boys had a wail of a time!

Back