Indoor cage questions

• Thread starter Thread starter wilderaura
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wilderaura

I will most likely have to keep my piggies outside, but I would much prefer inside so I'm doing as much research as I can on both in the hopes I can convince my parents to let me keep them inside.

I've read that I should keep 2 piggies in a cage no smaller than 4' by 2'. In my room there is a space that would fit a cage that size in.

My bedroom isn't that big though, so I was wondering if I built a 2 level cage, would it still need to be that big, or could it be slightly smaller?

I can have them out the cage in my room pretty much all day if I want, and although the floor area they would have isn't huge, I thought if I put the cage on a strong shelf, then I could give them that extra room underneath to run about in too.

Would these be ok for building a cage? http://www.countersdirect.co.uk/products.asp?cat=700

The cage I'm planning (if I can convice my parents to let me keep them indoors) would be 4 feet long by 3 feet wide with an upper level of 4 feet by 2 feet... would that be big enough for 2 piggies?

Thank you for your help

That sounds like a good size :) I see the cubes are made of glass, have no idea myself if that would ok, but Ulrike (Abnoba) has a cage with glass fronts. Can you not find the grid cubes anywhere? Maybe B&Q.

The top one is made of glass, but if you scroll down there's grid type things too, i don't remember the sizes off the top of my head though.

Oh yeah ::) ;D

Seems quite expensive though, buying per grid, i'd have a shop around. Maybe an Argos near you still has them in the clearance sale. Or maybe Ebay. :)

Yea the grid ones are the right kind of thing, although expensive. Try shelving direct. It's a website that does a 4 cube shelving set, its normally in their 5 top sellers list at the side of their homepage. They were the cheapest ones I found.

I've got this cage

http://www.petsathome.com/invt/14038 you can get it cheaper on line, www.zooplus.co.uk is good but it's off line at the moment

I've added an extra level to it, and it's fine :) I've found my piggies prefer to be higher up, they seem less threatened and happier so the stand would be good although obviously if you want a run coming off the cage it would need to be on the floor.

Unless you are using water bowls, I wouldnt go for all sides glass / plexiglass. Where to attach the bottles?

I know you can get bottle stands, but they take up floor space, and if that is already an issue, you dont want that.

A 120cm x 60cm is perfectly fine for two piggies, if you give them floor time aswell (some time to run around your room)
However if you can manage a two level cage, even better :) The piggies are going to thank you for every extra bit of space you give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back