Indoor Cage for 1 Guinea Pig

• Thread starter Thread starter piggywiggies
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggywiggies

What size cage would be ok for 1 Guinea Pig kept indoors, would a Nero 2 be ok? Would one Guinea Pig on its own with lots of attention be ok?

Nope, i'm afraid i would never recomend one guinea pig to be kept on it's own. They are soial animals who need the company of their own kind. Get a bigger cage and get 2!

1 would be ok but 2 would be better as they would like company just like you would - would you like to be kept in a room on your own with no one else who is the same species to talk to ?

2 would be brilliant - They can play and talk to each other- would be friendlier and youll probably see things a piggy on its own wouldnt do for example playing popcorning with each other and running up and down the cage like there racing and play fighting, lol

2 would make each other company ! :smitten:

I agree with the above - it's the equivalent of asking a human being to live in their bathroom for 23 hours a day.

One guinea pig is usually a sad and lonely guinea pig, no matter how much time you can spare for it!

The dimensions mentioned on sites of the Nero 2 are of the bars and not the usable floor space, either. It is, in my opinion, far too small for one piggy let alone 2. A minimum of 76cm x 91cm is recommended for 1-2 piggies.

If you only want one which i wouldnt personally recommend i would go to a rescue and have a boar who only likes his own company that is the only time i would have a lonesome piggy they are social animals, but even saying that it is nice for them to interact i had to seperate my boys when i had them but they could still see each other and now Sammy is neutered and lives with his girls, Nigel has now been neutered and lives with my friends girls

Thanks for that I am going to get two now. Would the Nero 3 be ok for them?

No no no! That is only 3ft 3 and that is too small for a pair. You would need to go a size up. We will only rehome into 4ft or bigger as that is what is recommended for the welfare of the piggies.

Nice to see some people will take advice :o Well done for asking all the right questions before diving into this.

For indoor cages it needs to be a 140cm and well done for listening. The option is Cavy Caging which can fit your own space. This way you could have two boars with a divider, just because boars don't 'get on' they shouldn't be deprived of company :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back