• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Inactive pigs!

Gus&Arlo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

Bit of a behavioural question as not sure if this is typical of piggies, or if it’s just typical of my piggies!

But they sleep all day. Almost as if they are nocturnal, and seem to come alive at round about 6/7pm.

I normally feed them their veggies in the evening, and myself and my partner tend to be in the living room more in the evenings so I’m honestly not sure if they liven up around this time just because we are here disturbing them, or because they know it’s nearly veggie time!

On odd occasions when I have come to check on them in the night, they have always been asleep then too. It seems they sleep/hide for nearly 20 hours a day.

I don’t think they are ill, I weigh them regularly and I haven’t seen any changes in their behaviour, because this has always been their behaviour! They turned 1 last week so I have had them for 10 months now and this has always been their “normal”.

Whilst I am quite happy for them to be sleepy pigs (!) my biggest worry is that they are bored, or that they are scared :( they have free roam of our living room and have lots of hidey areas and beds, they have unlimited access to hay, pellets and water… I’ve tried to buy them all manner of toys/chews/boredom breakers but they rarely seem interested - or will only be interested while they are awake in the evening!

I also worry that they are just not doing as much physical activity or running around as they should be. Is this normal behaviour for them to sleep/hide quite so much? And is there anything anyone can suggest to make sure they aren’t bored and to keep them active? Given they are 2 boars, I can’t add to the herd so I want to ensure they are as fulfilled as they can be!

They are normal piggies!
Piggies are crepuscular meaning they are most active in the evening and early morning when it is coolest, and will spend most of the day napping.

Ah that’s really interesting I wasn’t aware they were crepuscular! That makes total sense as I have seen them pretty active very early in the morning as well.

I kept reading that they should sleep somewhere like 4-6 hours per day and my two seem to sleep a significant amount more than that.

As long as they are happy (and healthy) then I’m happy!

When I first got my boys I read that they are active 20-22 hours a day. My pigs obviously didn't get that memo .......🤣
mine dont sleep but curl up in hides come out eat. Wicket lately chases Remy away from food because its ok your 5 months old now stop i EAT you wait. 4 year old is a bit lazier the kid he is active but no way 20-22 hours mine missed that memo too maybe that is why Wickett is chonky.

When I first got my boys I read that they are active 20-22 hours a day. My pigs obviously didn't get that memo .......🤣
Yep neither did mine 😂 they turn their nose up at any toys or boredom breakers I give them too, as though they just cannot be bothered haha!

They must take after me, I love a nap as well 😴🤣

mine dont sleep but curl up in hides come out eat. Wicket lately chases Remy away from food because its ok your 5 months old now stop i EAT you wait. 4 year old is a bit lazier the kid he is active but no way 20-22 hours mine missed that memo too maybe that is why Wickett is chonky.
Yeah mine are often just lying down in their beds, but I do catch them fully asleep eyes closed a lot of the time bless them 😂😂

I have a chonky boy as well! Arlo is 1250g at the moment… he doesn’t look fat… but I’m keeping an eye on him!

Most pigs will ignore toys! Their biggest form of entertainment and enrichment is foraging through big piles of hay
Yep they have two big hay piles that they love!

Secondary question then, my piggy Gus pulls bits of fluff out of our rug… almost as if pulling grass out the ground. And if I don’t catch him in time he will eat the threads he pulls out the rug! As per my original question, I thought this might be through boredom but given what everyone has said above I think they both have enough to keep them enriched and entertained!

I will say Gus is just master of destruction and he is a pig with an attitude so I don’t know if this is just fun for him, is through boredom or might signal something more worrying? I also don’t know how to get him to stop eating bits of rug which I cannot imagine is good for him! Pets at home have a chew stopper spray that is says is suitable for guinea pigs but I just wasn’t confident it was! Anyone have any ideas?

Please don’t use any spray.

He is exploring - they are like toddlers and do so with their mouths! I would either cover the rug with a blanket that you don’t mind if he tried to chew or remove the rug while they are out

One boredom breaker mine all loved was a big paper bag stuffed with hay.
It could be slept in, weed in, pooped in and reconstructed to make extra entrances and exits.
The only expense was the paper bags as their favourite bag was Hotel Chocolat’s large sturdy bag which I could only get if I bought chocolate too.
They were worth the sacrifice though.

Please don’t use any spray.

He is exploring - they are like toddlers and do so with their mouths! I would either cover the rug with a blanket that you don’t mind if he tried to chew or remove the rug while they are out
Thought as much RE the spray.

They free-roam 24/7, so I think the only option is to find a rug he’s less likely to chew at.

I don’t mind him damaging things at all. More worried about him having a belly full of threads from the rug 🤣

One boredom breaker mine all loved was a big paper bag stuffed with hay.
It could be slept in, weed in, pooped in and reconstructed to make extra entrances and exits.
The only expense was the paper bags as their favourite bag was Hotel Chocolat’s large sturdy bag which I could only get if I bought chocolate too.
They were worth the sacrifice though.
This is a good idea. They do like a cardboard box too!

Perfect excuse for me to go to Hotel Chocolat (And probably invest in a shorter pile chew proof rug, lol)

This is a good idea. They do like a cardboard box too!

Perfect excuse for me to go to Hotel Chocolat (And probably invest in a shorter pile chew proof rug, lol)
i bought oxbow soft and crunchy hay comes with box with windows. Wicket chewed on cardboard to get more hay and both jump in it burrow in hay the love it. also like the hay but definitely have fun with the box too

Back