In A Bit Of A Bind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sazzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I live in a condominium unit...I therefore do not have an actual yard to facilitate "outdoor" time. There is a large field next to my condo complex which is open to the public, and I have the means and equipment to set up a run for them, but my paranoia is setting in...I don't know what the city workers could have sprayed on the grass, and because I live in a somewhat upper-scale community where all he*l breaks loose if one blade of grass turns yellow, I'm worried about my curious boys ingesting something that could harm them.

Any thoughts on how I could take them outside safely?

If it's a public lot, then there's a very good chance people take their dogs to the bathroom there. Grass that has been peed on by dogs is toxic to Guinea Pigs - so I recommend not taking your pig out there. Unfortunately, I don't have any alternative solutions to grass time I can give you. Good luck, though.

I would just grow grass in trays. Public parks really aren't safe for piggies in many ways (chemicals, pollution, fouling, predators).

So my best bet is simulating outdoor time...I do have a porch...still not quite the same, but safety is key. Thanks, guys

@VickiA has a good suggestion - get some large plastic trays and grow grass in them, then add one to the floor during their run time.

Even those of us who do have a 'safe' back garden don't always get to use it year round.
For example my lot are out most days right now, but the reality in our climate is that they probably won't ever see the lawn between October and May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back