• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Implications of missing ear?

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

I have just seen in a pet shop a young pig with a missing ear. What would the implications of this condition be. She looked perfectly healthy & popcorned........

I have no idea either - but poor little thing!

Did it look like she had perhaps been in a fight and had it ripped off or was it just missing?

Not sure if genetic or not - she was v small & i didn't look recent.... brb gotta go & get mini me!

The inner ear bumpy bits (technical eh?!) were all exposed. I asked if I could take a look & it looked perfectly healthy. Unless the ear was ripped off when she was a new born I doubt that it is a recent thing as she was only about 8 - 9 weeks old at a guess. She didn't mind being touched there either.

I thought that a good name for her would be Elvie - LV Lugless VanGough!

It is a birth defect - usually caused by in breeding.

I had a large group of foster pigs a couple of years ago and all of the Mummy pigs had no ears at all.

One of them lives with her 3 daughters at my Mum's house and she is perfectly happy and well thankfully as are her girls - she just looks a bit odd bless her!

Wow never heard of before :o

Hey Shaz you better chat to Beaney let her know that you're a cool person eh O0

Hils how do you come up with these suggestions :) :) Cute name for her tho :-*

Glynis said:
Wow never heard of before :o

Hey Shaz you better chat to Beaney let her know that you're a cool person eh O0

Hils how do you come up with these suggestions :) :) Cute name for her tho :-*

nah I'm not cool,just mental ;) ;) O0 O0

poor thing, i suppose you would just have to be careful and keep a watch for anything getting stuck in the ear or causing an infection. baby has a cleft lip and quite often gets it all scabby but it doesn't effect the way he eats ;D or fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back