• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

impaction

• Thread starter Thread starter jom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jom

hi,
Iv never had a impacted boar before and from everything iv read its a smelly lump thats impacted? last nite this boar was blocked up but with normal poo, they were really stuck in his sack but had twisted round so the poos were pointing from leg to leg across the hole (if that makes sense). After i managed to rol back the sack i got about 10 normal poos out that had been stuck twisted round then he started pooing alot so ho had obviously been blocked but it didnt smell and the poos wernt really clumped together. Is he impacted or is it possible for a poo to twist on the way out get stuck and block the others?

Impac tion is caused by a weakness in the anal muscle,which is why it is mainly seen in older boars and heavyweight boars.

Often the pellets are just clumped together as you have described,sometimes they will drop out,but if not,they build up into a large .very stinky mass.This is when the impaction becomes a health threat.,and uncomfortable for the boar.

Check your boy at least once a day,and if the pellets are stuck,just ease them out.This will prevent any problems.

Thank you so much for that this is the first time i have seen a impacted boar and wanted to check i was doing the right thing.

i had this prob the first time with one of my boars about 6 weeks ago, and had to give him a good clean up.

i just keep checking him now, as it seems to happen now and again with him, but just help him out if it happens and then h seems to be ok again

My boar got impacted when he was paralysed from the waist down. He's much better now but still have to make sure he's clear every few days. The impaction is not just pellets, they seem to be stuck in deep, not pellet shaped and a little higher than where the normal poos come out, sort of in the sack nearer the penis (sorry to be so graphic) and it stinks a lot more than normal poos! Ralfie gets the normal poos in odd ways but they do seem to come out ok on their own once he wants them out lol, the impaction is a lot more smelly and not poo shaped :) Well thats what Ralfie's was like :) hope thats a help! xx

Also check the boar for dental problems with the Incisors. Its often too painful to extract the soft poos when you've got broken teeth that are jagged (or none at all ::) ). If thats the reason then it probably won't be a permanent thing :)

his brother is at the vets tomorrow and i was going to take him with us for a check over and il make sure the vet checks his teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back