• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Impacted Bums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How does that actually happen? I mean, is it in the genes of the piggy to get that with age, or is it due to poor conditions in which the piggy is being kept, is it something that happens to piggies where its in their genes or could theoretically every piggy get it?

and i have never seen a picture either.

Just curious :)

And do you just clean it with cotton wool bud and baby oil or how?

Impaction usually only occurs in older piggies,the anal muscles become stretched .It mostly occurs in boars who have been heavyweights,.If it happens to younger,smaller pigs,the problem may well be genetic. Mary

I'd never experienced it before with any of my boys until last night with Howie, who's 3.
What an experience!

Abnoba said:
How does that actually happen? I mean, is it in the genes of the piggy to get that with age, or is it due to poor conditions in which the piggy is being kept, is it something that happens to piggies where its in their genes or could theoretically every piggy get it?

and i have never seen a picture either.

Just curious :)

And do you just clean it with cotton wool bud and baby oil or how?

http://www.guinealynx.com/impaction.html

I'll remember to take a photo! ;) Tonni has had it for about 2 years, more-or-less. More due to his age.

To clear the ball - it's sometimes a solid ball of poop, others it's softer - gently lift him up and press either side to gently tease it out Hard to explain really.

An awful stench when it does come out in the end I tell you! :D

We had to do this for Sully not particularly nice but the relief on their faces is worth the smell and the protests from them :o
Err the piccies would be quite disturbing as our Sully became huge poor boy i'd clean him out sometimes 3 times a day towards the end.
It's not fair on them i wish we could give them fish oil or something to help but their little guts wouldn't tolerate it.
I did get told by our vets that it is usually an age thing but i've since read up on it and read that some young piggie have this problem too :(

my Ginger had it from 2 I did it daily for months then it might ease off for a while then back again, his brother Fred never had it, but he lived until almost 5 and I am proud I kept him going that long with a daily squidge and a deep breath, its the most eveil smell on earth :o but their relief is so worth it

michellemuffin said:
a daily squidge and a deep breath, its the most evil smell on earth

;D ;D succinct and to the point! Don't breath in again until the deed is done!

OMG think i am going to throw up i have just looked at that link , I pray to the guinea god i never have to do that with my boars YUK

g025.gif

piggybaker said:
OMG think i am going to throw up i have just looked at that link , I pray to the guinea god i never have to do that with my boars YUK

g025.gif

Nothing ever quite prepares you for the first time you have to "assist" a boar in this way, but after you've tackled (and no pun intended!) the job once, it is never quite so unpleasant again! Honest ;)

Caviesgalore said:
Nothing ever quite prepares you for the first time you have to "assist" a boar in this way, but after you've tackled (and no pun intended!) the job once, it is never quite so unpleasant again! Honest ;)

agree with you. It's something that has to be done. You learn to find 'ways' of getting the impaction clear quicker too! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back