• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Immodium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am reading through one of Peter Gurneys books and have read that Immodium is fine for Guinea pigs but I am rather concerned about giving anything not prescribed by the vet but, knowing how devasting diarrehoea can be to a guinea I was wondering if it definately is safe before getting a bottle in for them. The book recommends 0.4ml twice a day.

Peter Gurney worked closely with Vedra at ccc his advice is brilliant and did a lot to improve the care of piggies :) I have most of his books which are a good source of information for the beginner as well as those that have kept piggies for years :)

Immodium is ok - I have used it on poorly piggies in the past. It can just mask the symptoms of something more serious though as it may look as though the problem has gone away while the Immodium is just firming up the poops!

Ive got that book that guy is guinea pig god! lol ;D If he say's it it must be ok!

poppy1775 said:
Ive got that book that guy is guinea pig god! lol ;D If he say's it it must be ok!

New owners should take their pig to a vet. Like Kate says it can stop diarrhoea but it doesn't treat whatever caused it in the first place.

As DSL and Kate say it might stop the diarrohea but doesn't treat the cause, a good guinea pig vet should be your first port of call. You also need to remember that there may be more up to date information available now, unfortunately books can be out of date not too long after they've been published :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back