I'm worried about caramel following bereavement

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Caramel is rather worrying me since loosing her final friend marshmallow 😞 she is eating still but she's become rather reclusive facing the back of hides and generally not wanting to interact 😞 she does have neighbours who I am hoping to bond with her, I'm just wondering if what the right sort of time frame for bonding attempts following a loss is?
Sally and Addy are currently neighboured with her. They had two previous bonding attempts with caramel and marshmallow but poor marshmallow kept going on overload several hours in. Unfortunately her deterioting health meant we never completed the bond. Now caramel seems to not want to interact through the bars like she used to but Sally (boss of Sally and addys group, was definitely lead piggy when group bonding was attempted) is trying to interact more than ever (which is quite sweet).
It has been 6 days, should that be enough time to attempt bonding in the next week?
Obviously if bonding fails I will look to find caramel a friend of her own.

I feel so sad for caramel- she lost Fluffy, then she lost flower, then mal then Nugget and now marshmallow 😞

Poor little Caramel, I would try bonding on your first full day with no engagements, I think she does sound a bit depressed. Weigh her daily for now to make sure she is eating enough to maintain her weight x

I agree with the other posts. I would give it a try as soon as possible. Even if it doesn't work out (all fingers crossed that it will, but we all know piggies), it will probalby lift her spirits.

I agree, do it asap. At least that way you will know if it's going to work and can consider other options if they don't bond. It does sound as if she needs some company.

Awww, poor girl. :( Yeah, I agree with everyone above, definitely try bonding them. If it doesn't work, well, you tried, may have to look into other options/getting her a new friend.
Let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately the bonding was a definite no from these girls 😔 I will start looking into finding caramel a new friend of her own xx
Well done for trying. Sows can be very particular about who they will accept. I’ve seen some very depressed and mopey looking sows develop a whole new lease of life when introduced to someone they don’t like so I fully understand. Silly ladies. Wish they realised what was best for them sometimes.

Well done for trying. Sows can be very particular about who they will accept. I’ve seen some very depressed and mopey looking sows develop a whole new lease of life when introduced to someone they don’t like so I fully understand. Silly ladies. Wish they realised what was best for them sometimes.
I wish they did too, they interact so well through the divide, I do think caramel is a tad fear aggressive 😕 all my girls are spayed so at least her options are wide open!

It sounds like an ideal situation to introduce a little fella then, there are so many out there looking for their forever home. Sorry it didn’t work out for the girls but maybe a mixed pair would work far better for you. Good luck 🤞

PS Boars are such fun!

I am very sorry that the bonding has failed 😞 My girls interacted beautifully with a neutered boar through the bars and they got on for a good hour or two on bonding day but all hell broke loose when the boar got a big too big for his boots. It’s always heart wrenching when a bonding fails 😞 x

I should know better... anyone reading this I don't reconmend doing what I did. I was very silly.
I panicked with covid being in the house, bonding failing and caramel being sad. I sent oh for baby piggies. Bonding failed again several hours in (spectacularly- bite wound/blood drawn- caramel is definitely fear aggressive bless her).
Please can someone tell me which c and c grids I need (including to make a lid) I've got a temporary hospital cage which I can make do and manage with but it's only 4ftx2ft so not ideal at all. 😔
Also does vanilla need an emergency vet or can I contact my clinic tomorrow? It is not too bad but concerned it must be sore.
20230926_175211.webp20230926_175220.webp

I'm sorry the babies didn't work. I think Kavee do the small spaced grids for babies (expensive) or you can use ordinary C&C grids and overlap them so the spaces are smaller or put the corex higher up the sides or attach cardboard round the bottom of the grids until they are too big to get their heads stuck.
I'm not a health expert by any means but I would see the vet in the morning. I would bathe it with saline for now.

I am very sorry that the bonding has failed with the babies 😞 will you keep them? I can’t comment on the C&C as I have always used traditional cages.

The vet visit can wait until the morning but in the meantime, you can bathe the wound with a saline solution by mixing one teaspoon of salt with 1/2 pint of cool boiled water.

Don’t feel bad for buying the babies out of desperation. I’ve done it myself just luckily in my case, the bonding between Eliza and Connie was a success x

Thabkyou, I have just spoken to oh on the phone and she will DIY a cage with small mesh for the babies tomorrow as it will be quicker than waiting on a delivery for c and c.

Of course we will keep them- it is not their fault that caramel was not ready for friends :) named vanilla and smores.

I'm just sad it didn't work out for caramel xx

So glad you’re keeping the babies and I love the names 🙂 May be Caramel will just be happy having neighbours?
I'm debating as to weather she stays neighboured with Sally and addy as I know they'll get on as neighbours and we move the babies down since blood was drawn or whether I neighbour caramel with babies and Sally and addy move down 🤔
The dilemmas of piggy bonding 💕

I'm debating as to weather she stays neighboured with Sally and addy as I know they'll get on as neighbours and we move the babies down since blood was drawn or whether I neighbour caramel with babies and Sally and addy move down 🤔
The dilemmas of piggy bonding 💕
It is a dilemma 🤔 I don’t know what to suggest to do for the best but I’m sure you’ll work something out that suits every pig x

Sorry that you’re having such a difficult time with bonding.
Piggies can be very awkward about who they will accept or not.
Hope the children recover quickly and you remain negative for Covid.

Sorry that you’re having such a difficult time with bonding.
Piggies can be very awkward about who they will accept or not.
Hope the children recover quickly and you remain negative for Covid.
You would think I would know how difficult they can be given fluffy had multiple failed rescue dates before finally accepting baby caramel (and her sister flower- they were also emergency babies during the pandemic).

Got little vanilla a vet appointment at 11 to check her wounds, they aren't too bad thankfully ill just feel better when she's been checked out :)

Back