I'm Now Hated

Mantha16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm gone from being the nice hooman with the parsley to the mean hooman that takes them to the vets. I had to hold them whilst the vet clipped I could feel their hearts pounding I've never felt more guilty j-roc weighs 1.09 and Ozzie 1.345 problem is I don't know if that's kg or lbs vet declared them in good health so which is likely to be lol they don't feel as heavy as a bag of sugar but I could be wrong

if they are large boys and fully grown then possibly kilos. Does your country usually weigh by metric or not? That should give some clue.

You could also weigh them at home.

Last edited:
I'm gone from being the nice hooman with the parsley to the mean hooman that takes them to the vets. I had to hold them whilst the vet clipped I could feel their hearts pounding I've never felt more guilty j-roc weighs 1.09 and Ozzie 1.345 problem is I don't know if that's kg or lbs vet declared them in good health so which is likely to be lol they don't feel as heavy as a bag of sugar but I could be wrong

Piggies are thankfully forgiving, so you whould be back in their good graces soon again!
Those are good adult weights if they are in kilos (the higher one is on the slightly overweight side) or decent weights for sub-adults if they are in pounds. You can always ask your vet what their scales are set to.
With members from all over the world and UK people still used to the old imperial pounds (ca. 450g) and not the metric US ones (500g), we have found the use of grams much less confusing, as the difference has led to misunderstandings and wrong advice.

It would also be good if you weighed your boys once weekly as part of their regular health check. You can use kitchen scales from the supermarket for that:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
Guinea pig body quirks

For that and other reasons (like difference in brands, climate, access to vet/rescues and cultural attitudes) we also find it very helpful if our members from all over the world added their country, state/province or UK county to their details. It allows to tailor any advice straight away and prevents time consuming misunderstandings. ;)
Here is how you make your general location appear with every post and also how you can upload the picture that appears with every post you make (your avatar): https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

Well Ozzie is a little on the tubby side (My hubby said should have called him rhino or tank) and so I'm guessing kilos then. See generally in the UK it's kg and g now to bring us in line with Europe but I grew up using lbs and ounces so I get pretty muddled about it lol

Well Ozzie is a little on the tubby side (My hubby said should have called him rhino or tank) and so I'm guessing kilos then. See generally in the UK it's kg and g now to bring us in line with Europe but I grew up using lbs and ounces so I get pretty muddled about it lol

When I moved from Switzerland to the UK after my marriage, I was doing mental arithmatics all the time - including translating prices, weights, heights, speeds and distances...
UK vets use grams and kilos in their clinics.

Here are our tips on working out whether your boys are a good weight/size ratio considering that weight and size can vary so much - and what you can do if your boys are too chubby. Cutting down on pellets and not having them around all the time is usually the first measure. The more hay your boys are eating, the better for their health and longevity!
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diet

Awww, we have all been there, don't worry the have one track tiny food obsessed minds, they will soon forget and forgive ready for the next sprig of Parsley. 1.3kg is fine for a piggy as long as he is active and moving around - he could just be a big pig... One of our RB piggies Vimto was 1.5kg but she was huge framed compared to our other girls she was very active and ate same as the others

They will forgive you! I have been on the bad side of my piggies a few times (usually due to cutting nails/trimming hair/giving meds), but they always come around in the end! You could always blackmail them with some treats!

Back