I'm not at all convinced it's an issue...but

Lorcan

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Watching my pair the other day I noticed something. They share food just fine (having a double bowl for pellets instead of a single works great, one bowl is hard to fit two heads into), whether that's hay or veggies. No guarding, they'll steal each other's food from their mouths, just general normal guinea pig behaviour. Cam does insist on first dibs, but that's life. Bann's still getting plenty.

The other day Bann was trying to get at some Readigrass Cam was sitting on. Again not guarding, it was just where Camowen had plonked his backside. They're both eating at the Readigrass with Bann getting the occasional nose push because his mouth's near Cam's back end - til eventually Bann's making that preemptive jump backwards when Cam moves, even when Cam's just shifting his weight slightly and not actually worrying about Bann at all.

Considering the context, my assumption is Bann's just making sure he doesn't get told off again. There's no fighting, and like I said there's no dodgy food behaviours going on in general. I don't want to assume everything's fine and dandy in their world so if it's possible I'm missing something I'd rather know, but my feeling is Cam's just throwing his weight around and Bann's just getting on with things.

Luna jumps backwards sometime behind Nova. I have girls so not sure if boys are thesame. But if Luna touches Nova too much Nova squirts wee at her. So Luna jumps as she's preempting being weed at. 🤣

I mean I'd been watching them for a bit at this point, because I'd had someone else in the house with me and every time Cam would turn around and push Bann's nose up, and the squealing, I'd be like, "nope, that's normal. No really, it's normal" and there was no aggression with it, more of a "sod off and come back later" thing. Bann just started preemptively retreating and then coming back when he realised he was still facing a bum and not a face.

I've seen Cam get ready to pee spray at Bann a couple of times, lol.

Please don't worry it's just normal herd dynamics. My trio especially jostle for first dibs at the food. No one gets hurt but everypig occasionally gets reminded of their place in the hierarchy. 🙂

All the stuff you think you know, then you take a several year ownership gap and boom. Also not helped by Comet and Blitzen's general policy of chucking most normal herd behaviours out the window, so I missed out on most of this last time. Poor Bann just gets a wee bit overexcited every so often :))

Back