I'm new to guinea pigs, some questions.....

• Thread starter Thread starter TheGaffer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGaffer

Hi,
We are only on day 2 with our 6 year old piggie and we are still learning a lot!

I was wondering about what it means when they squeak? Are they happy or sad? Bailey was squeaking when being stroked and when my hubby stopped stroking him he stopped squeaking, does this mean he was enjoying it?

Another question, I brought some guinea pig excel today. Do I mix a little excel in with usual mix and just graduly increase it?
Are guinea pigs OK to eat sprouts?

Thanks,

Nicola

Hi Nicola,
How is your little fella getting on? Did you take him to get his hip checked out?

There are some websites that have piggie sounds and what they mean (i think a link from www.CannyCavies but not sure) - if my piggie squeaks on my knee, it usually means one of 2 things - if it sounds a bit distressed he wants a wee, and if it sounds curious it probably means he has heard the rustle of a food bag or caught a whiff of something interesting! I am new to piggies too and this is what I have worked out so far... he also purrs sometimes when he's happy, but usually he chirps and makes chimp sounds - very funny! When we get up in the morning and again when we get home from work Tiger is usually squeaking on full power - means he wants some veggies!

Hi, thanks
Yeah his hip's OK, vet thinks he's got an old injury, but doesn't seem to be causing him probs.

Nicola

Thats good, but you said he squeaked when you touched his hip... do you think it is still painful?

RE sprouts, I think they ar eOK, but Tiger doesn't seem as keen on them as he is on other stuff.. maybe they had too many sprouts over Xmas! :D

Well he didn't squeak whern the vet was touching it! He wasn't moving strangly either at the vets, he was weight bearing fine. Little monster ::) So the vet now thinks I'm mad! 98)

Nicola

Oh dear! Maybe he was overawed at being at the vets - one of our bunnies seems to go into a trance when we take him to the vets, but Tiger shouted his head off when he had injections for mites, poor little piggie! I have NEVER heard such a loud and ear-piercing squeak!

Your piggie might have been scared into being quiet and still.. but if it doesn't seem to be bothering him then maybe he's fine.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back