IKEA Ivar DIY cage

Hath

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey, anyone used the Ivar range as base for their DIY cage? I am planning on upgrading from C&C. Currently have raised one level c&c cages and feel like it's such a lost potential for floor space. So considered adding extra storey to it. But then wondered if wooden type wouldn't look better and be sturdier... I HAVE TO have lids on mine due to my cats, as I found one sleeping in the cage whilst piggies were out on the lawn-time few times ...:hmm:So I know he would want to "share" the prohibited fleece heaven shelves and I would worry.
Came across corner IKEA Ivar wardrobe transformed into small animal cages. I know the debate around extra storey and floor levels, but each level is 20 square ft of space (when built as the full set shown in third pic), so a good space even if piggies stay on one level. And can have 3 levels and one storage level (plus plants on top :drool:). Only downside is the fact it's only 50cm deep, which is a big deal for me as that's at least 10cm smaller than I would consider to be minimum.

I find it difficult to imagine how cleaning works for upper levels too (I make my own fleece bedding). Or even removing piggie from upper floor. I think I would panic thinking I'll drop him!
Anyone used them as base to DIY a cage? Or if you have levels, what's the highest shelf height for it to be practical for cleaning?
Pics explanation- the pic only shows corner and extension, but I can fit corner and two side extensions type.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-29-09-23-24-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    Screenshot_2023-08-29-09-23-24-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 32
  • ivar-4-sections-corner-pine__0578803_pe669744_s5.webp
    ivar-4-sections-corner-pine__0578803_pe669744_s5.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 29
It looks lovely but I think the cleaning out could be a challenge - even with steps it could be difficult and the potential for an accident
How does air get into the cages ?
Good luck and I loved ‘the payment’ 😂

Size wise - upper levels don’t count but provided the bottom level is big enough then that’s what counts. Only being 50cm wide would bother me.

I can see the Perspex fronts don’t appear to go all the way up so that would hopefully provide enough ventilation but I too think cleaning the top might be tricky…..I’m only 5 foot though so anything is tricky for me!
I can’t imagine leaning over a Perspex front at height is easy

No an IVAR but I must admit I became a little obsessive a few years ago with how to build my boys cage with storage underneath. Mine are on double stacked Besta units (one in front of the other for depth) and then we made the cage from furniture board and a plexi glass front. image.webp

Size wise - upper levels don’t count but provided the bottom level is big enough then that’s what counts. Only being 50cm wide would bother me.

I can see the Perspex fronts don’t appear to go all the way up so that would hopefully provide enough ventilation but I too think cleaning the top might be tricky…..I’m only 5 foot though so anything is tricky for me!
I can’t imagine leaning over a Perspex front at height is easy
Yes, it bothers me too. 60cm is the minimum for me. Just wondered if the overall floor space evens it out, but still don't have many accessories that don't take at least 30cm, leaving only 20cm for pigs to go past...
I would have to tweet the fronts, I like the perspex, but can't have full fronts due to ventilation. So thought maybe having cube type covers that flip up for cleaning.

My partner is DIY savy, we built our piggie shed from ground up and it was insulated and had heating. But took it down because the residing pair had super senior piggie in it I wanted to keep closer eye on and never had piggies in there since, I prefer my pigs inside. So all we need is some base to work towards. Might ask him to widen this to make it more suitable, but still unsure about the max height because I never had multi storey cages.

It looks lovely but I think the cleaning out could be a challenge - even with steps it could be difficult and the potential for an accident
How does air get into the cages ?
Good luck and I loved ‘the payment’ 😂
Hey. Yes, trying to figure out max height is the goal. Fronts can't be full perspex, so thinking cube-type covers to provide ventilation and stop kitty getting in the cage....

No an IVAR but I must admit I became a little obsessive a few years ago with how to build my boys cage with storage underneath. Mine are on double stacked Besta units (one in front of the other for depth) and then we made the cage from furniture board and a plexi glass front. View attachment 231383
That's the kind of style I've seen round internet. But wouldn't work with my cats. He likes the fleece beds too much :mal:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-30-09-03-30-55_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    Screenshot_2023-08-30-09-03-30-55_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
I’m not very tall so I struggle anyway but I once had a stacked c&c so it was three grids high - so around 112cm in height. Reaching to the back corners to sweep was tricky because you’re worried about leaning on the side of the cage when you’re not tall! I had to stand on a step, took the cage down in the end.
With a wooden like this like being more rigid it might not have the same issues.

Back