Ikea bath mat bedding advice etc.

UKguineapigmum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi i am new to this forum after lurking and reading around for months, I've decided to make my own account to maybe help others but also to have this discussion with hopefully a member or two who have had similar situations etc.!. I understand there are many threads about this but I am sort of looking for tips on my situation if possible not that it is an unusual one.

Background is one of my small stature guinea pigs have struggled with multiple URI's. We have been through so many different beddings and hays. From paper to fleece to sawdust. My vet has came to the conclusion that he potentially may have a condition she has seen in other guinea pigs where generally they are more likely to have URI's, it wasn't as broad as that but I'm not quite sure exactly what she said. As we are coming out of winter and hes just had another round of medication for a URI I've decided I want/have to move back to fleece but this time i wanted to try bath mats as we had some on hand and generally they are cheaper to maintain as a full time bedding (even if most fleece is a one time purchase). We were on sawdust as in the winter we had a bumblefoot scare with the temperature not working out with fleece but is now causing problems so I am moving back to fleece. I have had fleece before but not in ages and not with outdoor (in a garage) pigs.

My two boys live in a bluebell hutch with a run attached on the front during the day. There isn't one particular area they pee/poo in its really sort of all over. As they are in a hutch unlike a c&c cage etc. they have a specific closed off sleeping area, which i was planning on changing most likely everyday. Whereas other areas just every few days or as needed. I've done my research as it has been so long since I've worked with fleece/bath mats but would like to see if anyone on here has their pigs in a similar situation or have any advice. The bath mats are going to be on top of paper which will be changed out every second day or as needed. I'm a little pig mum panicked there is a specific cleaning routine or tip for bath mats that I haven't seen in my previous experience with fleece, mats.

Also wanted to check they were okay for the full cage, as I have seen 9 times out of 10 people have had fleece and the noodle bath mats together. I loved using fleece but since losing my job to covid and struggling to find work i don't really have the money to spend on the guinea dad ones i had years and years ago. I'm not opposed to buying some fleece aswell but i certainly trying to look into bath mats first as i have seen they are just as reliable. I have looked into making my own but I'm not exactly the craftiest person LOL!

We are doing the sawdust changeover tomorrow so just looking for some last minute advice!

From your stories, to advice or do's and don'ts, any help is well received and much appreciated!. 😀 - Apologies for how long this post is, sometimes I can not help but ramble!

The most important thing here is that they are outside albeit in a garage, so what happens with the temperature, humidity etc in the garage is vital to knowing whether fabric bedding of any kind will work. It can be ok to use fabric bedding for outdoor piggies in a dry summer, but it’s not recommended to use it at all in winter. Fabric beddings don’t work well, often don’t dry well and can wick moisture from the air for outdoor piggies.
I have my piggies living in an insulated shed and cannot use any fabric bedding in winter. Not only that, lots of hay is needed to fill the hutch and keep them warm. I sometimes use fleece on the shed floor in summer but never in the hutch itself (the Hutch door is left open and they free roam the shed)

Bath mats work the same as fleece.
Make sure all the mats are washed three times first so they wick, that the absorbent layer underneath is drawing moisture away, and that the bath mats are staying dry.
Don’t forget that with boys the more you change, the more they will scent mark and the more it can smell.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

In terms of recurrent URIs, have different antibiotics been tried? Finding out if certain ones are better than others for the specific type of bacteria he has?

Hello and welcome to the forum. My two boars live in my garage. I use newspaper and wood shavings.

The most important thing here is that they are outside albeit in a garage, so what happens with the temperature, humidity etc in the garage is vital to knowing whether fabric bedding of any kind will work. It can be ok to use fabric bedding for outdoor piggies in a dry summer, but it’s not recommended to use it at all in winter. Fabric beddings don’t work well, often don’t dry well and can wick moisture from the air for outdoor piggies.
I have my piggies living in an insulated shed and cannot use any fabric bedding in winter. Not only that, lots of hay is needed to fill the hutch and keep them warm. I sometimes use fleece on the shed floor in summer but never in the hutch itself (the Hutch door is left open and they free roam the shed)

Bath mats work the same as fleece.
Make sure all the mats are washed three times first so they wick, that the absorbent layer underneath is drawing moisture away, and that the bath mats are staying dry.
Don’t forget that with boys the more you change, the more they will scent mark and the more it can smell.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

In terms of recurrent URIs, have different antibiotics been tried? Finding out if certain ones are better than others for the specific type of bacteria he has?
Hi thanks for your helpful response, since the mistake I made last winter my eyes will be peeled for keeping them dry and safe at all times. I prefer sawdust but the fleece/mats are 100% the best option for my pigs right now especially as it is becoming much warmer here.

All my mats are wicked, thanks for the information on changing them, as my boys are prone to a good butt drag every time I change the sawdust!.

As for the URI's it feels like we have tried every antibiotic under the sun, but the one we had this course (Just chucked out the bottle and can not remember the name for the life of me) he was very responsive too so will definitely be looking to keep that one written down somewhere in the case he continues to struggle with them.

Thanks again for your response 😀

Back