Identical Boys, How Can We Safely Identify Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues Brothers

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have 3 rescued 4 year old boys, they are all short hair dark grey, same weight and length, temprament is very similar, is there any way we can mark them to tell them apart?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Once you get to know your bouys you will notice differences and learn how to tell them apart. It is like being a parent of twins!

Is there a way to post photos on here? There boys are tooooo similar, I'm boggled eyed!
Hi and welcome to the forum. Once you get to know your bouys you will notice differences and learn how to tell them apart. It is like being a parent of twins!
re

I think you should be able to tell once you've had them a while and got to know they're personalities. Keep us posted x

They are gorgeous! Check the ears for any differences. They may look different.

I agree, once you get to know them you will tell them apart. We have this problem with our roborovski hamsters.

Hi and welcome!

Have a good look at their ears; these have often little notches along the rim or slightly different shapes. You will soon get to know them for their different personalities, don't worry!

Your new boys are lovely! Are they getting on well with your third boar? While adult trios have a much better chance of working out in the long term than baby boar trios (due to the big teenage hormones from between 4-14 months being out of the way), it is still not quite as easy to hit a character balance that works out. Best of luck! You are welcome to ask for support and advice if you need it.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-introducing-and-reintroducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/

They are gorgeous! I would personally look at ears for little nibbles and their eyes can also be telling too. If you check them all over you may find patches of slightly different shaped colouring etc.. It would be good to tell them apart in future as you ideally need to know if they are acting differently than normal etc. incase of illness.

Aw, your boys are adorable and I agree about checking the ears etc.

I have 5 gerbil brothers. Two of them are brown and look identical, two of them are cream and look identical and then we have an odd one who looks different from his brothers.

Don't worry you will soon learn to tell the differences as they will have slightly different markings somewhere and you will learn to read their personalities.

T
Hi and welcome!

Have a good look at their ears; these have often little notches along the rim or slightly different shapes. You will soon get to know them for their different personalities, don't worry!

Your new boys are lovely! Are they getting on well with your third boar? While adult trios have a much better chance of working out in the long term than baby boar trios (due to the big teenage hormones from between 4-14 months being out of the way), it is still not quite as easy to hit a character balance that works out. Best of luck! You are welcome to ask for support and advice if you need it.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-introducing-and-reintroducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/
hanks for your advice and support. All 3 boys came together from the rescue centre, and h
Aw, your boys are adorable and I agree about checking the ears etc.

thank you for the great input, the ears are sounding like the best bet for telling them apart, the thing is, they probably do make slightly different noises, or prefer different foods, but because I can't differentiate between them, I don't know who is who, if that makes sense! My daughter has studied the ears, and drawn a little picture of the differences to go on the hutch, so we can try and spot who's who!

They should soon get little characteristics that you will notice as well, I have 5 boys all totally different in temperament

There is the picture from P@H leaflet I picked up today. It shows difference between females and males.

Attachments

• 2014-04-21 18.16.39.webp
    2014-04-21 18.16.39.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 6
Look at their eyes, that's how I was able to tell apart my old boar's Jack and Zack apart. They were both completely black and I could tell them apart by their eyes as Jack's were rounder

You may learn to tell them apart in time but until then you can use a splodge of vegetable based food colouring or carefully snip a patch of fur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back