Ideas wanted for our piggy's new set up.

BlueBird

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello lovely people! It's been a while!

We currently have a massive 6x2 C&C (at the time we had 3 pigs and I always try to go one above the forum recommendations). Sadly 2 of those originals have died and we now have a 4-5yr old boar and a 1yr old (ish) sow. Sadly our sow has suffered a stroke so it looks like they will probably last a similar amount of time now and it seems the right time to start winding down our piggy cycle.

But this cage seems a bit too big for the two of them now especially since our sow is now disabled. My preference is to invest in a second, smaller cage that can easily be transported. While I love our c&c set up (we also have a starter cage bottom we use as a hay tray to stop the hay going everywhere which I really like). It is a monster and I worry that as our disabled sow gets old this may start to be a bit too big and unwieldy for her to navigate.

I've toyed with chopping down our original cage to make a smaller cage with a 1x2 hay tray insert. Trouble is our correx isn't the best quality and would leave us with a 4x2 which from experience is a bit too small to fit a hay tray into. I've also toyed with moving their c&c set up as our pigs and all their stuff has gone to our parents house while we try to sell our flat (apparently exceedingly slowly grr!). We had to fold the correx in half to get it in the car. My poor mum was driving away with the back of her car packed to the ceiling like a student on moving day. I'm reluctant to go for a temporary concertina c&c as it seems a bit complex for my parents to get their heads round and I don't like the idea of the pigs being on a cheap shower curtain instead of correx on my parents nice cream carpets. Eep!

Since these pigs are likely to last only a few years I'm reluctant to invest loads of money into a new set up so I'm trying to source something second hand. I was looking into ferplast plaza 160s as they can flatten down (can they easily be chucked into the back of a car?) and the all in one nature seems like a great solution for moving the pigs about at christmas etc. Not to mention these kind of cages my parents are used to from when I had them as a child. My parents loved our old popup hexagon cages but I chucked all that stuff out as it was under the cage when one of our pigs got ringworm. I'm reluctant to invest in those again because of the high cost of the fleece liners to go in them whereas a ferplast I would be able to reuse their current fleece. Similarly I'm struggling to find second hand ferplast cages that are larger than a 120 but I do notice zooplus seems to have them on sale right now.

So I've got a few questions for you.
  1. What are ferplast 160s like to transport?
  2. Does anyone know where I could get them second hand?
  3. Do you have any other ideas so make an easily transportable setup that's not going to cost a fortune?

Thanks @Siikibam! The concertina c&c is what we're doing now for my parents. But putting it back together has been a bit tricky for them. It's so rickety! I'm nervous of using it without correx as they have a cream carpet. So even though it will probably be fine putting the cage down on bin bags with the fleece over it. I'm nervous of it and don't want the responsibility of any leaks lol. :D

I'll look into that link though thanks. I'd looked at gumtree and while I didn't scroll through the whole of gumtree the only ferplasts I could spot were the 120s rather than 160s which feel a bit small. Our boar is a bit of a chonk. XD

It should be okay if you have a waterproof base (shower curtain, plastic bag) that’s topped with washable or disposable pads and fleece. You could always get the stuff from wickes. It’s thin but does the job well.

What did you put the grids together with, cable ties? The other alternative is a metal run. Something like the below.
Ellie-Bo Easy-Up 8 Piece Puppy Rabbit Play Pen 61cms High https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IYQQ...abc_2C8RRZV7JNBCGQBP8YEG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It should be okay if you have a waterproof base (shower curtain, plastic bag) that’s topped with washable or disposable pads and fleece. You could always get the stuff from wickes. It’s thin but does the job well.

What did you put the grids together with, cable ties? The other alternative is a metal run. Something like the below.
Ellie-Bo Easy-Up 8 Piece Puppy Rabbit Play Pen 61cms High https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IYQQ...abc_2C8RRZV7JNBCGQBP8YEG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It was cable ties with the "shoes".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZY9C...abc_N7JZYHEM194ZVQYC277Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We bought this for our piggies. We bought it for floor time but could make an easy "cage" and we have used it as a temporary cage before. Its actually a dog paddling pool and does come in smaller sizes. Fully waterproof so no leaks, it does stand up by itself and soooo easy to put up and take down its just a case of folding/unfolding. The price is good too.Screenshot_20210830-001509_Amazon Shopping.webp

Back