Ideas Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loisdeadman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies are all indoor in my living room, trouble is no matter hoe much I clean the cages my room stinks! What can I do to get rid of the smell? Thanks.

what bedding do you use ? I use fleece which i change twice a week and the only thing that stinks is their hay..

Yes first thing first, bedding! If you use fleece I find that the use of litter trays in their most used areas helps with the smell as they can be changed daily.

I use equinola similar to auboise. But I spot clean twice a day and a complete change once a week.

I had mine on Auboise in the living room and didin't have problems with smell. I also did spot cleaning daily and a full clean once a week.
How many piggies do you have and how big is the cage?
Do they seem to use a particular area as a toilet?

Are you able to try putting some bedding and hay into a cat litter tray in an area that they usually use for toilet to see if it makes a difference to the smell?

I saw your avatar picture and did a double take!
Mine are in the living room too. We don't notice much smell except nice hay smells and the occasional wiffy poos when they are freshly laid :vom:. I poo pick twice a day about 30 mins after veggies have been consumed. My boars are on vet bed which does tend to lock the urine smell as well as the wet underneath. Under the vet bed I have newspaper on top of puppy pads. I change the wet paper daily and the pads when/if the wet soaks through to them which is not very often.

Boars smell much worse than girls ! I use puppy pads changed every morning , wash the fleece every morning and clash the snuggle beds and anything that absorbs the wee this really really does make a huge difference in the smell of the room

I don't have a fleece set-up in my piggies cage, but i've seen other comments from people on this forum that said their fleece bedding smelled even after washing.

And then other owners using fleece suggested they put vinegar in the softener compartment of the washing machine while washing it and that seemed to work.

Does that sound worth trying? Can other owners that use fleece confirm if that may help?

I don't have a fleece set-up in my piggies cage, but i've seen other comments from people on this forum that said their fleece bedding smelled even after washing.

And then other owners using fleece suggested they put vinegar in the softener compartment of the washing machine while washing it and that seemed to work.

Does that sound worth trying? Can other owners that use fleece confirm if that may help?
I add vinegar to the wash when washing the fleece but sometimes I have forgotten and just used washing liquid and I find it makes no difference really as the fleece still comes out smelling clean but I wash in hot water (cold rinse) aswell to kill the germs if their are any. Getting rid of the piggie fur off the fleece though is a losing battle lol.

I add vinegar to the wash when washing the fleece but sometimes I have forgotten and just used washing liquid and I find it makes no difference really as the fleece still comes out smelling clean but I wash in hot water (cold rinse) aswell to kill the germs if their are any. Getting rid of the piggie fur off the fleece though is a losing battle lol.
OH MY GOODNESS this is so true ! Mine always come it in little white hairs !

OH MY GOODNESS this is so true ! Mine always come it in little white hairs !
Iv'e got two tortoiseshell (I spell checked but still doesn't look right) piggies and the fleece always comes out with white, black and tan furs. Can't win no matter what colour the fleece is lol.

Could it be their veggies going bad? I had to stop giving them broccoli because even with changing them every other day, the bits they hadn't eaten really stank. Mine are less smelly with fleece and sweeping out everything on the fleece each morning.

I put puppy pads in the high pee areas and remove them every 3 days, with a full clean every week. I put a capfull of Dettol in the conditioner drawer, non bio powder, and wash at 60 and I don't get any whiffy smells.

My little boar is much smellier than the girls, but we have only had him for 4 nights. I don't want to start bathing him in this weather.

I clean my girls out every three days but I also have an air purifier right next to their cage. I don't put any oils or smellys in it but it does seem to help with the smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back