Ideas needed! How can I make upper level safe on hutch?

CutiePiePigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

I have the Bluebell XL hutch for my guineas and looking for ideas on how to modify the big gap area upstairs that is above the ramp, and seems totally unsafe if left open.

I currently use the shelf ledge from an old ferplast cage, which fits nicely and creates a bigger open area upstairs - but my girls are getting a bit ‘fluffy’ to squeeze through the gap and down the ramp comfortably! Does anyone have any other ideas that have been used successfully?

Thank you! 😀

Yep it is unsafe. When I had my bluebell as a two storey (the hole is totally blocked up now and ramp removed to make two separate hutches), I covered part of the gap with wood (attach a baton of wood to the back wall, then put a piece of wood over to cover the hole and then screwed it to the ledge and to the hutch floor. Then made a banister using another piece of wood and attached it to the hutch floor so they could not fall down toe hole that remained for access to the ramp.

It was then modified again when I wanted it as two separate hutches by removing the wood that was there and adding another bigger piece to fill the whole hole (again screwed to the baton ledge and the hutch floor)

I've never really had problems with guinea pigs around edges, except for one pig who would back off an edge. He was not the smartest, poor soul. All the other pigs I've had have been very careful about edges.

I suppose they leave such a big hole to allow for rabbits. I agree that the best approach is to partly board it up and then put a banister on what's left, if you're ok with the woodwork involved.

If you want something involving less effort, you could use something like c&c grids to make a barrier around the open edge. Other ideas: fix a long plastic box upturned over the hole and cut a door at the top of the ramp, or cover the hole with an upturned piece of guttering to create a tunnel roof.

Back