ice pods - safe?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
i’ve just come across the scratch and newton ice pods.. how safe are these? can you leave them unaccompanied? should they be covered? thanks!

Any frozen object needs covering to avoid ice burn/piggies paws or tongue freezing onto the surface. We like frozen drinks bottles placed inside socks for our piggies in the summer- and 350ml or 500ml drinks bottle can be rinsed out, filled with water (remember to leave a bit of airspace at the top as frozen water expands) and frozen then popped in an old sock for piggies to sit next to on a hot day!
Last summer we defrosted a large shallow tupperware box of lentil curry from our freezer by letting Blodwen sit on it, wrapped in a tea towel with a fleecy pee pad on top- anything frozen then securely covered with fabric of some kind is fine :)

Any frozen object needs covering to avoid ice burn/piggies paws or tongue freezing onto the surface. We like frozen drinks bottles placed inside socks for our piggies in the summer- and 350ml or 500ml drinks bottle can be rinsed out, filled with water (remember to leave a bit of airspace at the top as frozen water expands) and frozen then popped in an old sock for piggies to sit next to on a hot day!
Last summer we defrosted a large shallow tupperware box of lentil curry from our freezer by letting Blodwen sit on it, wrapped in a tea towel with a fleecy pee pad on top- anything frozen then securely covered with fabric of some kind is fine :)

i was told by the company its safe not to cover? i am using bottles atm but find they don’t feel very cold once wrapped up hence why i bought these ice pods..

thats a good idea haha!

does anyone know if they can be constantly left in the freezer or should it just be four hours max before your wanting to use them?

ooo thats a good idea!
They fit perfectly, I haven't used it yet as although it's been warm the room the piggies are in is on the front and the sun doesn't get around there until 5.30/6 and it's cooled down.

I just use drinks bottles filled with water and frozen. I pop them in an old sock to prevent freeze burning the piggies.

Back