• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think Bree has fungal

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooh no

The night before last I was cuddling Bree and whilst stroking her noticed a large crusty bit on her back. I gently combed it and her fur came out in clumps with white stuff on the end. I wondered if it was mites as Bailey had mites a while back but is now clear of them. Anyway I washed her yesterday and as I was shampooing her fur started coming out in clumps so I guessed it was probably fungal.
I went through the whole fungal process with Betty and Babs a couple of years ago so knew what to do with Bree. I got all the loose stuff out after washing her with Nizoral and she is now pretty much bald on her bum. Once she was dry I put the GG lavender and myrhh lotion on her to sooth any soreness. I have washed all the other piggies but no signs of similar symptoms thank goodness.

I shall have to keep a close eye on her and watch it doesn't come back. If any more signs I think the next step will be one of those oil soaks. Poor Bree, I think she hated me cos she went in the bath furry and came out half bald - she was squeaking her head off and bit me on the wrist - owww.

Alex x

Oh Alex so sorry to hear this, poor Bree :'( Sounds like you know what to expect, but should you go or at least speak to the vets just incase. I talk to mine often, LOL they all know my voice now ::)
Give her a big cuddle and you too this is not pleasant for either of you :-* :-*

You could be right Glynis. I think I've treated the affected area pretty well tho so shall keep an eye on it for a few days. If not it's off to see Uncle Ken!

Ooh thanks for that tip about Seleen shampoo. I'm just about to run out of the Nizoral so may try the Seleen next. I must say Bree's skin is looking quite good today and she seems quite happy so I hope she's forgiven me for her treatment bath!

Alex x

No probs! I've definitely found Seleen to be better than Nizoral. If you have any problems getting hold of it, let me know, as I've bought it online before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back