I need advice please, for my new guinea pig.

Lizy914

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, so 2 days ago I got a new lady guinea pig. Her old family couldn't have her anymore as their kid was alergic to her, so they gave her to me. She is one year old now and was living alone. Because I already have one guinea pig at home (she's two years old) and her friend died a few months ago, of old age, I decided to get her a friend.

On the first day I introduced them slowly, in the big outdoor fenced area/cage. I kept the new one in the separated cage, so they could smell each other and meet. It went really well, so after a couple hours I let the new one out and let them meet properly. My old one was crazy about her, she inprinted on her the second she saw her. She was grooming and licking her, shared her food and was very friendly.

Well the new one was unsure at first. She was startled if my old one ran to her or started licking her all of a sudden. So for the night, I kept them separated. The next day was the same. The old one was obsessed with her, always kept close, looking for a chance to give her kisses and to cuddle. New girl let her many times, but when she wanted space, she moved away or "hissed" once, when the old one scared her, while jumping over her.

With me and my family, she is still a bit unsure. I have to announce myself when picking her up so I don't scare her. She nipped (gently) my dad when he startled her one time, trying to move her closer to food.

I kept them separated at night (indoor cage) just to be sure.

Do you think the new one will get used to my old one's over friendliness and love, and will they get along? So far she wasn't aggressive to her at all tho, she's just a bit scared. And will she get used to me and my family over time? How can I make her more comfortable and when should I let them both sleep together in the indoor cage over night?

Welcome to the forum

It can take a while for piggies to settle in. I have added a collection of guides below to help you help her settle in.

New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

In terms of bonding her with your other piggy, you need to put them both in a neutral territory bonding pen without a divider and without any hides. They need to be in there for several hours together. Provided all goes well you can then move them into the cage they are to live in.
If you keep putting them together and then separating them it interrupts their bonding process. They need to be left together all the time unless there is an actual fight between them.

The guide below explains how to bond piggies and the behaviours you are looking for to know it is going well

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Welcome to the forum

It can take a while for piggies to settle in. I have added a collection of guides below to help you help her settle in.

New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

In terms of bonding her with your other piggy, you need to put them both in a neutral territory bonding pen without a divider and without any hides. They need to be in there for several hours together. Provided all goes well you can then move them into the cage they are to live in.
If you keep putting them together and then separating them it interrupts their bonding process. They need to be left together all the time unless there is an actual fight between them.

The guide below explains how to bond piggies and the behaviours you are looking for to know it is going well

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Thank you, really. They are together all the time in the outdoor cage, where they have way more space to run around and move away if they bother each other. Over night (indoor cage), I was scared to let them sleep together, as I might not hear if they got into a fight. This morning I left them together in the indoor cage for some time and then took them outside, because it's very nice and warm outside. I put lots of food in there, beside all the grass they have on the floor. Should I let them sleep together tonight, then? I'm a bit of an over worrier when it comes to my pets. Thank you :)

Is your new pig used to grass ? If not you will need to limit her access to grass until she is used to it.
I think the advice you’ve been given is just right and read the guides mentioned to ensure you have all the info.
i think it’ll be fine to let them stay together now. Good luck 🥰

Thank you, really. They are together all the time in the outdoor cage, where they have way more space to run around and move away if they bother each other. Over night (indoor cage), I was scared to let them sleep together, as I might not hear if they got into a fight. This morning I left them together in the indoor cage for some time and then took them outside, because it's very nice and warm outside. I put lots of food in there, beside all the grass they have on the floor. Should I let them sleep together tonight, then? I'm a bit of an over worrier when it comes to my pets. Thank you :)

Yes you need to leave them together. If you separate them again you will interrupt their bonding. It takes two weeks for their home to be fully formed

Is your new pig used to grass ? If not you will need to limit her access to grass until she is used to it.
I think the advice you’ve been given is just right and read the guides mentioned to ensure you have all the info.
i think it’ll be fine to let them stay together now. Good luck 🥰
Thank you, yes she is used to the grass. I picked her up a few times today and she warmed up quite a bit, she was licking my shirt. 😍

They seem to be getting along fine. Can’t wait to see some pictures if you’d like to share. 😍

Back