I need a good sized house for 2 piggies

• Thread starter Thread starter burstingbug
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

burstingbug

Can anyone recommend a good suitable home? Ideally something that can be indoors & outdoors :)
They'll be outside during the warm months and brought in for the cold ones.
Thanks

Hiya,

for 2 pigs the size needs to be 4x2 so you could go for a hutch that is that size, perhaps a double hutch with an upstairs that can eaily be brought in and placed in a utility room. I have a 5x2 hutch indoors right now and it was a stuggle getting it in but we did it with lots of 'I'll get it in if it kills me' dedication from me...lol

You could always have a hutch for outdoors and a C&C Cage for indoors. These are made from grids supplied fby www.screwfix.com type in cubes and they come up. You can easily make a 4x2 with the grids supplied. You can see some designs at www.cavycages.com

Good luck!

Louise
x

I was thinking a double hutch.
Wouldn't be able to do the C&C cage, as much as I'd love to. It's not practical with my young boys and my dog!

I don't have an upstairs one so unsure if you take into account the upper level. I'm sure most do. Can anyone advise?

That hutch is very small for two Piggys. Pigs love to run and do zoomies, they really do need more room than that!

Also I've come across quite a few problems with pigs using ramps such as those. In that they simply wont use them! If you have to keep them outside then what about a longer single level hutch such as one kitted out for a rabbit. Pets at Home have some quite large cages for rabbits but you may be cheaper trying a local pet supply store.

outfoxed98 said:
That hutch is very small for two Piggys. Pigs love to run and do zoomies, they really do need more room than that!

Also I've come across quite a few problems with pigs using ramps such as those. In that they simply wont use them! If you have to keep them outside then what about a longer single level hutch such as one kitted out for a rabbit. Pets at Home have some quite large cages for rabbits but you may be cheaper trying a local pet supply store.

This is why second levels are great but shouldn't really be taken into account floor space wise. Piggies are not natural climbers and some will just plain out refuse to use a ramp (I got rid of the second level on my C&C cage for this very reason). They really need horizontal space to run laps/popcorn.

daftscotslass yes I totally agree. My pigs love to spend their day popping and chasing about in their cage. Their cage is 2 foot x 5.5 foot and has two levels. Incidentally the second level has a ramp going between levels but it is very shallow and has raised sides and a carpet flooring to make the Piggys feel safe and secure when using it. Upstairs is their 'penthouse' with fleece and cuddle cups and downstairs is the hay basement, filled with yummy hay for them to rummage in.

I think double storey can work but only if you have an adequate floor space to start with.

Oh and my cage is for 3 Pigs. :)

5ft x 16.5" x 3ft
I've found a double one with the above dimensions for a good price.
here
It looks long and wide enough with the bonus of an upstairs.
What do you think?

The length is fine but it doesn't look wide enough as you say, needs to be 2 foot. :)

I think 3 foot is the height not the depth. It's only 16.5 inches wide. Def not big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back