I have recently introduced two male guinea pigs, and while they are expressing normal bonding behaviors I still am concerned.

amatuerpetowner

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my roommate and I recently got another guinea pig because they are social animals. We got one this January and another one today. We introduced them in a new pen and put two makeshift hiding spots because we forgot to get new ones and make some out of cardboard boxes that they had not touched. We put some hay, some veggies, and snacks in the pen because that is what we saw. When we introduced them, the bigger and older one, Karl(white and brown), was very aggressive and immediately started mounting. While both are expressing normal behaviors, I am still concerned because Karl has the advantage over Kabbage (smaller) in terms of size. I attached some videos of what is happening. I don't want to interupt yet because A) there is no biting or blood and B) I was told during research that it would interupt with the bonding process.

Hello, my roommate and I recently got another guinea pig because they are social animals. We got one this January and another one today. We introduced them in a new pen and put two makeshift hiding spots because we forgot to get new ones and make some out of cardboard boxes that they had not touched. We put some hay, some veggies, and snacks in the pen because that is what we saw. When we introduced them, the bigger and older one, Karl(white and brown), was very aggressive and immediately started mounting. While both are expressing normal behaviors, I am still concerned because Karl has the advantage over Kabbage (smaller) in terms of size. I attached some videos of what is happening. I don't want to interupt yet because A) there is no biting or blood and B) I was told during research that it would interupt with the bonding process.

Here are the links to the videos

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately, we are not part of social media (which has it advantages as well) but a supported video uploading facility is costing too much, considering that we are entirely run by voluntary member donation and are doing this for free in our free time.
Please upload any videos on a public setting in place like youtube that doesn't require anybody to register in order to see the video.Then you just copy them across into your forum post.

From what you are reporting, the behaviour is perfectly normal for the bonding process. Your boys are busy establishing a hierachical group, which always has a leader. Please remove any hideys from the bonding area and make sure that they have all two exits when you put them back in the evening, once you are sure that the boys have had a nap together and are still getting on (or ideally waiting even a bit longer to allow them to work through the roughest part of the bonding process, which is going to last another couple of weeks until their group is fully established in their new territory. You are bound to see a lot more dominance behaviour, which is very carefully judge and non-aggressive.

If the mounting becomes too persistent, then make sure that the little one has a box or a small tunnel (both with two small exits) that only he can get into. There is no aggression just a bit of overexcitement, which is not at all uncommon and may take a day or more to settle down again.

Please take the time to read (and watch) the very useful links below, which help you to understand the complex bonding process and the appropriate behaviours and dynamics. Guinea pigs cannot just hint, they have do go through the full hog. But unlike you, they know instinctively what they are doing and to them dominance behaviour is not mean but at the very core of their social life. All the screaming from the under-boar is submission screaming and not pain - and the proper response for a good bonding.

How big is your cage? (Please use feet or centimetres and not inches; we are UK-based with members from all over the world)

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Cage Size Guide

Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Good luck. I hope the bonding continues to go well.

Back