I Don't Want To Be A Bad Piggy Mum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandralt

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking at getting two female guinea pigs (If males would be better please let me know).
I've never had guinea pigs before but have had rabbits.
They will be outside, But able to come in for winter and will either be living in:
1)
Rose Cottage Hutch for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs (Home Delivery) | Pets At Home
Or
2)
Dandelion Den Thermal Hutch Cover | Pets At Home (Sorry could only find the link for the cover, Not the actual hutch.
I have both of these hutches already, so if i could have your opinions on which one would be best.
My next question is what do i then use in the hutch.
Ive read about fleece and the different options, but I'm still really confused.

I really don't want to be a bad Mum, But everyone has to start somewhere?!

:D I think that your new piggies will like the Dandelion Den better. I have had that hutch and it is huge. There is plenty of space for them to move about and the removable floor tray makes cleaning out easy.
The Rose Cottage is big too, but the ramp is very steep and takes up floor space. Piggies prefer horizontal space.
As for bedding, please look at the links that Swissgreys has given. I would steer clear of sawdust or wood shavings. Hay is much better.

The issue with the bedding is I havnt got a clue what I'm putting where!
I don't know whether I'm supposed to be putting puppy pads under the fleece or whether it's one or the other. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be putting hay in their igloos hideaways.
Will the dandelion den still give them enough space with two igloos in? And should I keep the divider but in it or is it best to take that out for extra space?
Thank you both!

I have Rose Cottage from P@H and I have the other similar one Bluebell Hideaway! [Click here for it] Bluebell is only £99 while the other is £120, they're both the same size and build so you might as well save yourself some money! I have had 2 boars in my cages, and I like that one can sit upstairs and the other can sit down, but sometimes they sit at the top of the stairs might get protective over whoever is coming up or down. If you have the space, a longer horizontal hutch might be better? But if you haven't got the room to go horizontal you could go vertically. I guess it's up to you to consider which is best! ^-^
For my bedding I use simple sawdust with some hay over the top, then they get extra hay for eating. The wood does eventually end up getting wet though, if your pigs have a favourite place to pee like mine. It's not too bad, it's not rotted after 4+ years of use, it just looks a little soggy.

Thanks for your reply!
I already have the two hutches here and available. Depending on which one I go for!

You can line the hutch with lino or lino floor tiles which will wipe clean.You can even put them on the walls.It saves the wood of your hutch from rotting.You can buy liners to the measurements of your shed and they can be washed at 60 degrees.These consist of an absorbent later then a fleece layer which wicks the wee into the absorbent layer.You could put a litter tray in or just substrate then the hay in the bedding area.Hope this helpd

definitely line the hutch with lino, guinea pigs are so much messier than rabbits! :o I have both single level and double level cages. I think single works better for guinea pigs.

I have a pair of girls and a pair of boys, both are great. Generally speaking... my boys are bolder, more relaxed with me and less messy! My girls are noisier (they love to chatter), like to sit in their own pee and probably livelier. The boys niggle with each other more so they have to have 2 of everything whereas the girls are happy to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back