I Don't Think I Have Quarantined Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily & Rose

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today we have unexpectedly picked up a new guinea pig, named Poppy, from a family who are moving house. The guinea pig has been living on her own in a hutch outside and I was told that her companion died over a year ago. One of our guinea pigs died three weeks ago, so we have been wanting a new friend for Lily, our other guinea pig. We found out this morning about Poppy and rushed over to their house to pick her up.

I thought I had read before that to quarantine a pig, that you can divide the hutch and then they can also get used to each other's smell, before they meet. We have a 2x6 c&c cage, so I have put two grids in to divide it in half. Since we put Poppy in there about an hour ago, Lily has seemed so happy. She hasn't met her through the bars properly yet though, as Poppy has been hiding in hay. We have checked Poppy and she seems healthy, except she needs a bath, her nails need clipping and some of her hair has matted near her bottom. I'm really worried as I've just read on another thread that to quarantine, the hutches need to be in separate rooms or at the other side of the room from each other. However, I don't think this will be possible for us, as we don't have anywhere else suitable for another hutch.

I have some Ivermectin Xeno 450. Would it be advisable for me to use this on both Lily and Poppy as a precaution? Or should I arrange to go to the vets with Poppy tomorrow for a health check. We wouldn't be able to take her until the evening though.

Today we have unexpectedly picked up a new guinea pig, named Poppy, from a family who are moving house. The guinea pig has been living on her own in a hutch outside and I was told that her companion died over a year ago. One of our guinea pigs died three weeks ago, so we have been wanting a new friend for Lily, our other guinea pig. We found out this morning about Poppy and rushed over to their house to pick her up.

I thought I had read before that to quarantine a pig, that you can divide the hutch and then they can also get used to each other's smell, before they meet. We have a 2x6 c&c cage, so I have put two grids in to divide it in half. Since we put Poppy in there about an hour ago, Lily has seemed so happy. She hasn't met her through the bars properly yet though, as Poppy has been hiding in hay. We have checked Poppy and she seems healthy, except she needs a bath, her nails need clipping and some of her hair has matted near her bottom. I'm really worried as I've just read on another thread that to quarantine, the hutches need to be in separate rooms or at the other side of the room from each other. However, I don't think this will be possible for us, as we don't have anywhere else suitable for another hutch.

I have some Ivermectin Xeno 450. Would it be advisable for me to use this on both Lily and Poppy as a precaution? Or should I arrange to go to the vets with Poppy tomorrow for a health check. We wouldn't be able to take her until the evening though.

Hi! As the girls have already met through the grids and are very happy about each other's presence, I would waive the quarantine and just see how it goes.
You will just have to treat both of them if or whenever things crop up; if your girl is very dirty and needs a bath, rather make it an anti-parasitic one. It is always a toss up with a bereaved guinea pig when you get a new companion that has not already undergone any mandatory quarantine/medical treatment at the rescue.
Personally, I would rather treat with a full course of ivermectin if there is actually a parasitic problem. I am not a fan of one-off preventative treatment as general obveruse contributes to building up resistence against ivermectin.

All the best, but it looks like you are going to have hopefully a fairly smooth introduction although you won't be spared the dominance phase completely. Please read our various bonding guides at the top of the behaviour section.

Hi! As the girls have already met through the grids and are very happy about each other's presence, I would waive the quarantine and just see how it goes.
You will just have to treat both of them if or whenever things crop up; if your girl is very dirty and needs a bath, rather make it an anti-parasitic one. It is always a toss up with a bereaved guinea pig when you get a new companion that has not already undergone any mandatory quarantine/medical treatment at the rescue.
Personally, I would rather treat with a full course of ivermectin if there is actually a parasitic problem. I am not a fan of one-off preventative treatment as general obveruse contributes to building up resistence against ivermectin.

All the best, but it looks like you are going to have hopefully a fairly smooth introduction although you won't be spared the dominance phase completely. Please read our various bonding guides at the top of the behaviour section.
Hi Wiebke, thank you very much for your advice. I think we will do the proper introductions tonight in the play pen, as Poppy was very scared last night, so we didn't want to unsettle her. She hasn't shown an interest in meeting Lily yet, she is spending a lot of time hiding in the hay.

Hi Wiebke, thank you very much for your advice. I think we will do the proper introductions tonight in the play pen, as Poppy was very scared last night, so we didn't want to unsettle her. She hasn't shown an interest in meeting Lily yet, she is spending a lot of time hiding in the hay.

Just separate and try again in a few days. There is no rush as long as they are happy next to each other. make sure that you peg a blanket over the bonding pen; it helps with skittish piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back