• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I dont know why my baby piggy passed awat today

Danig989652

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I purchased a guinea pig at a local pet store near my house, and she ended up already being pregnant when I got her. Well some weeks later she had 3 happy, and what seemed to be healthy babies. It's been about 2 weeks since she had them and they have been doing great up until today. When we got home from driving my daughters father to work one of the babies was laying down in a place I'd never seen them lay before. And the baby wasn't moving. Sadly baby had passed. It was the biggest baby of the bunch, he or she was very active and was eating and drinking well. Mama is a good attentive mama, so I have no idea what happened. It seems so sudden and out of nowhere. His or her belly wasn't hard or anything, I couldn't see anything wrong, except it looked like a little diarrhea leaked out. I checked all over their home and I didn't see it anywhere else though, so I don't think it was something that was going on for a while. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened. I'm so scared for my 2 other babies now. I feel like if I don't know what happened I can't prevent it from happening to them. They both seem very active and are eating well, but since the other was too I don't feel like that's very reassuring rn. Any info or idea what could have happened would be really appreciated.

I’m sorry for your loss.
I’m afraid it’s not possible for us to know what happened. Only having a post mortem done would give you those answers.

Have you checked the sexes of the babies
and been weighing them? Please make sure you separate any male babies from mum and siblings at 21 days of age or 250g in weight to prevent a male baby from getting mum pregnant straight away.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies.109391/
Thank you for your reply. I didn't think anyone would definitively know, but maybe have some idea what would cause a baby to pass so unexpectedly. I have been watching the days to be sure to separate them by 21 days. If 350h come first I should separate them before the 21 days? I didn't know know that. I will weight then other 2 in the morning. I know the girls have a 'y' and the boys have an 'i', and I tried to look the other day but they are so wiggles I didn't want to hurt them so I just got a little peak then gave up. I thought the one that passed was a boy, but I looked again after he or she passed and it looked to be a 'y' not an 'i' so I'm going to have to try again more throughly since I think I was wrong the first time.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think anyone would definitively know, but maybe have some idea what would cause a baby to pass so unexpectedly. I have been watching the days to be sure to separate them by 21 days. If 350h come first I should separate them before the 21 days? I didn't know know that. I will weight then other 2 in the morning. I know the girls have a 'y' and the boys have an 'i', and I tried to look the other day but they are so wiggles I didn't want to hurt them so I just got a little peak then gave up. I thought the one that passed was a boy, but I looked again after he or she passed and it looked to be a 'y' not an 'i' so I'm going to have to try again more throughly since I think I was wrong the first time.

Yes the guide I linked in explains when to separate any boars - but yes if 250g comes first then you may need to separate any boars earlier than 21 days. You will need to look inside the slit and feel for a penis ridge - you can’t go by just the external look of an i or a y since not all look exact

This is our sexing guide
Illustrated Sexing Guide

I’m so sorry you have lost one of your babies. Such an awful shock for you. Just keep an eye on the remaining babies but I’m sure they will be fine.

So sorry you lost one of the babies, that’s so sad x

Please weigh Mum and babies everyday at the same time and record their weight. You also need to look at the sexing guide and sex them now, then you can prepare a cage if you have any boy babies at 3 weeks or 250 g

Back