I don't know how to get my pigs to drink enough water.

isabisaaa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm very stressed because I've tried everything to get my pigs to drink the proper amount of water and they still won't. I have water bottles for them but they act like they don't know how to use it even though they had water bottles before they came to me, they often put their whole mouth around it and I'm not to sure if they're getting any that way because the water level only goes down a little bit every day. I've checked it they work every time I press my finger on the bottle it sprays out, I've tried putting juice from their favorite veggie on the nozzle but I still hardly see them go up to use it, I've tried using a water bowl but they just sat in it. I'm at a loss I don't know what to do I haven't even had them a week yet

You don’t need to worry. The need to drink comes before the need to eat and a piggy will never deliberately dehydrate themselves. So if your piggies are eating then they are definitely getting enough fluid. That fluid can be taken in by eating vegetables and also by drinking at the bottle (or even chewing on the spout will often produce drops of water) - if they are getting a good amount of veg, then their need to drink from the bottle will often be reduced.

There is no ‘proper amount’ that they need. The amount each piggy drinks varies hugely - some hardly drinking any and some drinking lots. Anything is normal!

I have a pair who are emptying a bottle a day.
I have a single piggy who never drinks enough to make his bottle content go down (although does chew the spout). All are perfectly healthy!

Back