• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hyperthyroidism

Wetherill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone on here has any experience with a pig with hyperthyroidism. My Lionel (5) was diagnosed with this illness back in around June, and he is being medicated to this day. It doesn’t really show that he has an illness, though, he is happy, active, eating and drinking well, etc., the only issue is his weight and dry stools. My vet is not very concerned, and tells me the illness is not likely to be extremely harmful to him. Despite us constantly upping his dosage on his medication, he is 780 grams today. He is support fed critical care daily, takes his pills, and (by vet’s orders) gets an extra pellet serving to keep any weight on. Like I said, he acts totally fine, but I just can’t get past how thin he’s gotten. Every time I pick him up or pet him, I almost want to cry. He doesn’t look emaciated, just a bit small, but definitely feels it sometimes. He’s on felimazole and takes 2.5 pills per day. Has anybody else ever had a piggy with this illness? Just wondering if there’s any additional way I can fatten him up again.

If you click on the magnifying glass (search) button and type in Hyperthyroidism and click Titles only you can reach for past posts that are about this subject

It looks like there are quite a few posts on this very subject

i have finley who weights in at 730grams,he was 1.2grams.at 5 years of age he started to loose weight.he was very active.i was concerned about his weight,so i proceeded with a vet appointment.Finley was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism.he commenced thronorm,he is on 0.5mls/2.5mgs of thyronorm and has been on it for a year.
He has maintained his weight at approx 700~750grams.The vet and i believe he has some kidney failure...not due to medication,he is nearly 7 years of age and is still very lively with 3 wives.i do leave him some porridge oats to help with his weight.
It takes a little while to work out the correct doses needed to maintain weight,but it should not stop your piggie leading a normal life.

i have finley who weights in at 730grams,he was 1.2grams.at 5 years of age he started to loose weight.he was very active.i was concerned about his weight,so i proceeded with a vet appointment.Finley was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism.he commenced thronorm,he is on 0.5mls/2.5mgs of thyronorm and has been on it for a year.
He has maintained his weight at approx 700~750grams.The vet and i believe he has some kidney failure...not due to medication,he is nearly 7 years of age and is still very lively with 3 wives.i do leave him some porridge oats to help with his weight.
It takes a little while to work out the correct doses needed to maintain weight,but it should not stop your piggie leading a normal life.
Thank you! Poor baby, I hope he is okay in regard to his kidneys. It’s very comforting to know somebody is in the same situation as me. He’s only been on his medication for about 3 months so it’s still early on. I’m hoping he won’t drop any more weight.

Our elderly cat Eli has the condition, although he is on medicated cat food (which costs an arm and a leg!) He continues to lose weight. He was 7.6kg, he's now 3.2kg. Our vet says he's not in pain, he'll just keep going until he wears himself out and go in his sleep. He's nearly 20 so he's had a good life.
IMG_20221005_155509.webp

We also have his sister Pip from the same litter, she's doesn't have the condition. 👍
IMG_20220712_235632_edit_422051596463723.webp

Back