Hutches

cla1975

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to ask a question about hutches for 2 guinea pigs (possibly girls). I had been doing lots of research and came across a Ryedale 5ft hutch I really liked. It had legs so it was higher up which I thought would be easier when cleaning it (saving my back) and I was also looking into getting a separate run and hideaways. However, these particular hutches are made in Gateshead and delivered, as I live in Norfolk it will probably cost more to have it delivered than the cost of the hutch!
So back to researching again, I would like a spacious 5ft or 6ft hutch, but just a single story one. I have now been looking at the Chartwell hutch and just wondered what opinions people have on this hutch please or any recommendations on other hutches? I am going to purchase a cover as well. I know the Chartwell is not on legs but it is probably the nicest one I have seen so far. I have come across other hutches on legs but they are far too small.
I just wondered whether most people have separate runs or a hutch with a run? I just thought if we had a separate run we could then move it around the garden to give the guinea pigs fresh grass but then I keep thinking a hutch with a run maybe easier so they can come in and out at leisure (I would make sure they were safely tucked away in the hutch at nighttime).
I am sorry for the long post, as I say I think I have just confused myself completely....😅. How did we manage before the internet! Thank you so much.

For my piggies, their hutch and lawn run are separate. They actually live in a hutch in my shed so do come and go between hutch and shed floor during the day but their lawn run is separate. I personally prefer separate run as youve identified, you can move a separate run much more easily!
Nothing wrong with hutch/run combos though - provided the ramp isn’t too steep (you may end up having to put a brick or something underneath it to decrease the gradient) and that it’s covered/has sides (piggies aren’t natural climbers and ensuring a ramp is suitable for them is important)

I think some members on here have the chartwell. I would go for a 6ft in case you end up with a pair of boars.

Looking at delivery for the ryedale it’s by region. If Norwich is in a yellow area then you need to call them for a quote. Yes it’s expensive but their hutches look good. Have a look at the thread I’ve linked to below.
Member Gallery: Hutches

D353745B-2503-4E46-96B1-8ECF1ECD6B72.png
I have separate runs to the hutch. Moving a combo around would, I think, be tricky. And all the points mentioned above as well.

I think a separate run with a little hidey for during the day is the best option, like you say you can move it around and the grass stays healthy. I think @Betsy has the Chartwell hutch?
I have a run with a little bunny hut inside for my piggies which connects to a bunny ark which is great but I wouldn’t recommend the ark as a hutch, but great for daytime or as an indoor hutch in a garage although we have had to alter the ramp and put a door on the upstairs area
1616869945806.webp

Ooo the Ryedale hutches are really good quality though. When I was looking for a hutch I couldn't quite stretch to one so for a chartwell which is good value for money but not as good quality

I have a 6ft 2 Storey Chartwell hutch now that I only have 3 piggies (I originally had 5) I only use the Penthouse Suite at the top and the Granny Annexe at the bottom is used for storage. I am very happy with it.

For my piggies, their hutch and lawn run are separate. They actually live in a hutch in my shed so do come and go between hutch and shed floor during the day but their lawn run is separate. I personally prefer separate run as youve identified, you can move a separate run much more easily!
Nothing wrong with hutch/run combos though - provided the ramp isn’t too steep (you may end up having to put a brick or something underneath it to decrease the gradient) and that it’s covered/has sides (piggies aren’t natural climbers and ensuring a ramp is suitable for them is important)
Thank you for your reply. I think I may well go for a separate run now.

I have a 6ft 2 Storey Chartwell hutch now that I only have 3 piggies (I originally had 5) I only use the Penthouse Suite at the top and the Granny Annexe at the bottom is used for storage. I am very happy with it.
Thank you, I have just had a look at that hutch online and it is really good idea, the bottom would be very handy for storage.
I think a separate run with a little hidey for during the day is the best option, like you say you can move it around and the grass stays healthy. I think @Betsy has the Chartwell hutch?
I have a run with a little bunny hut inside for my piggies which connects to a bunny ark which is great but I wouldn’t recommend the ark as a hutch, but great for daytime or as an indoor hutch in a garage although we have had to alter the ramp and put a door on the upstairs area
View attachment 171585
Thank you so much, I loved your photo, i am sure your guinea pigs are very happy in there. I really like your bunny box for the run, do you mind me asking where you got it from please?

I think some members on here have the chartwell. I would go for a 6ft in case you end up with a pair of boars.

Looking at delivery for the ryedale it’s by region. If Norwich is in a yellow area then you need to call them for a quote. Yes it’s expensive but their hutches look good. Have a look at the thread I’ve linked to below.
Member Gallery: Hutches

View attachment 171584
I have separate runs to the hutch. Moving a combo around would, I think, be tricky. And all the points mentioned above as well.
Thank you, I may call and ask how much delivery would be, the hutches did look very well made.

Thank you, I have just had a look at that hutch online and it is really good idea, the bottom would be very handy for storage.

Thank you so much, I loved your photo, i am sure your guinea pigs are very happy in there. I really like your bunny box for the run, do you mind me asking where you got it from please?
yes, the little bunny box is great, it’s on legs so does not get damp and the roof opens too on a hinge. You can find it in Pets@Home or online Amazon, eBay and online pet stores.
Heres on on Amazon we have had out for about 4 years now and it’s really well made. I put Lino in the base so it’s easy to wipe down and clean.
Our piggies live inside but spend most of the summer out during the day from around 10.00 am to 6.00 pm or later if the weather really warm

I'd say get the biggest hutch you can. Think when they can't go in the run. While you can get away with smaller spaces for girls that doesn't mean that you should. Mine have the p@h 6ft double hutch. I do have 4 pigs though. One pair on top and another on the bottom.

If the hutch wasn't in the shed I would have got the chartwell. Meant to be fox proof and really sturdy. Not sure about the one you've mentioned as I know nothing about it.

I'd do run seperate and agree with the bunny boxes Bill & Ted mentioned (I'll be getting a few myself as they good).

I have the chartwell 6 feet hutches,and i am really happy with how well they have stood up against time ,7 years!

View attachment 171585
How do you keep the grass free of hay and poop because my Guinea pigs always bring their hay down to it and I put some in too. The grass just looks awful, especially when I clean the mess up. Sometimes it goes down to mid too. Help please 🥲

How do you keep the grass free of hay and poop because my Guinea pigs always bring their hay down to it and I put some in too. The grass just looks awful, especially when I clean the mess up. Sometimes it goes down to mid too. Help please 🥲

I personally don’t try.
When my boys are on the lawn, they have a couple of hides and a tray for hay but inevitably it gets dragged around. I brush up what I can, and the rest just goes through the lawn mower

I found it really difficult to get up off the grass. Then I bought a garden vac. It's brilliant and transformed my garden. This is when my piggies were outside. They are now in the garage and I still use the garden vac in there as it helps to stop the hay migrate into the rest of the house. (My garage is attached to my house and I get into it through the Sun Lounge). This is the one I have
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Le...s=vonhaus+garden+vacuum&qid=1640991797&sr=8-3

Back