Hutches

• Thread starter Thread starter SkinnyLover
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SkinnyLover

Ok so, I have just been offered the most fantasic set of hutches!

My question is this, how do I stop the urine soaking into the wood and making it rot? Is there some sort of treatment or varnish you can buy?

It is simple! Lay either vinyl or stick on vinyl tiles on the floors coming a few cm`s up the sides. Washable and no urine soaking into the wood :)

OMG you are a genious! :smitten:

Can you tell I have only ever had indoor cages ;D

;D ;D

I had the problem of wee soaked wood and racked my brains. I came up with that idea and it works brilliantly O0
A genius I am not unfortunately ;D

You are too! I've been sat here for 15 mins before I asked, thinking what I could use ;D

I always used Vinyl with the bunnies, and then ink free paper on top..is that safe for guineas?

Yup we have just done the same thing. Bought some cheap self adhesive tiles from B&Q and lined the floor of our 6'x2' hutch - only cost m around £5.00 and it makes cleaning/sweeping a doddle ;D

You could varnish the bottom with ronseal varnish that is used for wooden doors/windows then leave it to air for a few days. I always line hutches with news paper then put in the megazorb and top off with hay.

I have noticed when cleaning my hutches out that the floor sometimes seems damp but I think it is from the rain. Is there any way to insulate the hutch effectively from rainwater on the outside? With a view to ensuring that the floor and walls are completely dry inside even in very wet weather. Thanks for your help.

Do you use a hutch hugger? I think these are supposed to be good to protect from the elements and keeps them warm too. I am not sure as mine live indoors :)

does your hutch have legs/ feet? I can only think that the bottom would get damp from being directly on the ground outside.if it is it needs to be raised off the ground as high as possible.I've never had problems with a damp hutch.
Do you cover with a rain proof cover when it is raining?
Piggies do not live well in damp conditions.

adamc88 said:
I have noticed when cleaning my hutches out that the floor sometimes seems damp but I think it is from the rain. Is there any way to insulate the hutch effectively from rainwater on the outside? With a view to ensuring that the floor and walls are completely dry inside even in very wet weather. Thanks for your help.
You could always move it into a shed/outhouse or an unused garage if you have one would be nicer for you in the winter months when cleaning them out ect ;)

06-06-07_1832.jpg

06-06-07_1847.jpg

This is my hutch that i made,it has vinyl tiles as the flooring,hubby thinks i went way over the top,but it is easy to keep clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back