hutch with run

carolyn85

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi everyone I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get a bit of advice on the best hutch with run please. we're looking at getting 3 female guinea pigs but there are so many hutches out there with such mixed reviews I just wanted to know what hutch with run everyone recommends , bonus points for any link lol. we do have quite a few foxes round our way so looking for the best to keep them safe , plus we want a good size run as we have a big garden so plenty of space . thanks so much in advance

:wel:

For three sows you need a 6ft hutch. My advice is actually to not get a hutch with a run which is permanently attached ie one where the hutch is above the run and connected via a ramp (hutch/run combo) but to instead get two separate items.

This is for several reasons - moving a hutch/run combo is pretty hard work.
They also cannot have access to the run all the time so for you to be getting access to the hutch in winter (when they can’t go in the run) via climbing through the run gets rather tedious!
Not all piggies will use ramps

Home and Roost (online) sell a 6ft chartwell hutch with compatible run which adjoins the front of the hutch when needed. You can then just disconnect it (they are connected via hooks) when necessary.

6ft Single Guinea Pig Hutch Chartwell | Fast Shipping | H&R

We would always advise that you rescue piggies rather than purchase where at all possible, so if rescuing is something you can do, then I would suggest you contact a rescue centre before purchasing any accommodation. If you buy something which doesn’t accord with a rescue centre requirements then of course they won’t rehome to you.

Make sure you buy corresponding thermal and waterproof hutch covers as piggies need a lot of protection particularly if they cannot be moved into a shed for winter.

Finally, if you do have a lot of foxes, is there any way you can keep them inside the house or indeed inside a shed or unused garage? Preventing an issue by keeping the piggies safely locked away is obviously better!

Last edited:
hi everyone I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get a bit of advice on the best hutch with run please. we're looking at getting 3 female guinea pigs but there are so many hutches out there with such mixed reviews I just wanted to know what hutch with run everyone recommends , bonus points for any link lol. we do have quite a few foxes round our way so looking for the best to keep them safe , plus we want a good size run as we have a big garden so plenty of space . thanks so much in advance
Welcome to the Forum and web done for looking into this in advance.

In all honesty I wouldn't recommend a hutch with a run attached.
This offers a weak point which would allow predators to enter, and additionally is is not likely to be useable year round due to the weather. Plus if you want the run to be on good grass, it means moving the entire contraption on a regular basis, and with a solid and well built hutch this will be very difficult.

Far better to invest in a decent, sturdy hutch of an appropriate size, and have a separate run which you can move around when needed to get the best patch of grass, shade in hot weather, etc.

Good hutches can be found at places like Home and Roost:
6ft Single Guinea Pig Hutch Chartwell | Fast Shipping | H&R

For 3 girls you really need a 6ft hutch.

However please bear in mind that no hutch will offer full protection from a determined fox, so you will need to consider additional protective measures.

Just a note. If you’re getting them from a rescue then I would hold off buying anything. Rescues tend to have their own requirements so you don’t want to get something only to be told they won’t accept it! If you’re getting from elsewhere then that’s fine.

Hope we can see your girls soon. Exciting stuff! 😀

Hello and welcome to the forum
Have you considered having them inside? They become more like part of the family then 😊

Hello and welcome to the forum. When I first got my first lot of piggies a few years ago I got a run attached to a hutch and it was sooo annoying. Lol. You want to be able to move the run where the nice grass is but also leave the hutch in the shade most of the time. Also I couldn’t stand close enough to clean out the hutch as the run was in the way. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Definitely get two separate items. Then the run can go wherever you want. I have a foldable run. Handmade by a local handyman. It’s great as it can be packed away when the piggies can’t go on the grass in winter. Can’t wait to see pictures of your three beauties. 😍

Back