Hutch with Run

icklebee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I've got two gorgeous piggies and looking for a new hurch for them. Can anyone recommend a Hutch with built in run...we are in the UK.

All help appreciated xx

It will depend a bit on whether you have males or females as boys do need a bit more space.
We also wouldn't recommend a hutch with an attached run.
This can be a weak spot allowing predators to get in, and also make it harder to insulate and keep warm during the Winter.
Plus guinea pigs do not really need access to a run 24/7 if their hutch is the right size.

A good brand in the UK is Chartwell which also offer covers to help with warmth and weather proofing.
Two piggies need a minimum of the 5ft hutch, although obviously the bigger you can go the better.

5ft Guinea Pig Hutch Single & Double Tier | Family Made | Fast Shipping

:agr:

A separate hutch and run tend to be easier to use.
As well as the hutch/run combo issues Swissgreys mentions of insulation etc, there is also the fact that for the owner accessing a hutch/run combo can get very tedious (constantly having to step inside the run to get to the hutch) (or if you were to get one which has the run underneath which is the same size as the hutch so you don’t have to step inside the run, then the run space is obviously not bigger than the hitch so the piggies aren’t getting additional experience space), plus moving a hutch/run combo round the garden to put it on fresh grass can be harder as they are rather heavy. A separate run is so much easier to move, access, store etc when it can’t be used (Sept/Oct to April).

The feelgooduk rabbit hutch is great and has a run and sliding trap door to shut them in the hutch at night it is only £99.99 of Amazon. It has great reviews

The feelgooduk rabbit hutch is great and has a run and sliding trap door to shut them in the hutch at night it is only £99.99 of Amazon. It has great reviews

Perhaps you could share what you are seeing because the one I can see which is that price and has that name is far too small - only covering 7 square feet in the enclosed area which is below minimum RSPCA requirement so isn’t suitable as a permanent living space (any run which is joined to a hutch does not count towards the cage size as it isn’t suitable for permanent use)

Last edited:
Perhaps you could share what you are seeing because the one I can see which is that price and has that name is far too small - only covering 7 square feet in the enclosed area which is below minimum RSPCA requirement so isn’t suitable as a permanent living space (any run which is joined to a hutch does not count towards the cage size as it isn’t suitable for permanent use)
This is the one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FeelGoodUK-Rabbit-Intergrated-Double-Internal/dp/B092CXF1GQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Yes that is the one I thought. Sadly it’s not appropriate as a permanent hutch - it’s too small. Piggies could never be closed in the enclosed area as if only measures 80x80cm. (Converts to 6.8 square feet - two sows need 8 sq ft as a minimum but 10 sq ft is recommended. two boars need 12 sq ft)
Its really only suitable to be a daytime run (with the enclosed area only really being a large hide). A separate hutch meeting size requirements would still be needed to be their home.

Last edited:
Yes that is the one I thought. Sadly it’s not appropriate as a permanent hutch - it’s too small.
Its really only suitable to be a daytime run (with the enclosed area only really being a large hide). A separate hutch meeting size requirements would still be needed to be their home.
It says it is 88x120cm

Edit:

88x 160cm

The overall measurement is 160 x 80 but the mesh/run side can never be counted as it isn’t suitable living space - piggies cannot be left with access to it at night or during the winter. They need a safe enclosed hutch which alone meets size requirements - the run then needs to be an additional measurement (again meeting requirement), whether it is attached or not.
Therefore, as only the enclosed space counts this hutch only measures approx 80x80cm so doesn’t meet welfare

Last edited:
The overall measurement is 160 x 80 but the mesh/run side can never be counted as it isn’t suitable living space - piggies cannot be left with access to it at night or during the winter. They need a safe enclosed hutch which alone meets size requirements - the run then needs to be an additional measurement (again meeting requirement), whether it is attached or not.
Therefore, as only the enclosed space counts this hutch only measures approx 80x80cm so doesn’t meet welfare
Oh I get it now

Do hutches like this usually come in sections and therefore have to be DIY built? I wondered because someone who wanted one I have spare was so surprised that it didn't come to bits, (and also it is very heavy so almost impossible to move really). Looking at this I'm thinking it must come in sections?

Do hutches like this usually come in sections and therefore have to be DIY built? I wondered because someone who wanted one I have spare was so surprised that it didn't come to bits, (and also it is very heavy so almost impossible to move really). Looking at this I'm thinking it must come in sections?
Yes they usually do. But there are some witch don't

Most of the solid and really well built hutches will come flat packed with assembly instructions, because as you have already seen they are just too big and heavy to move easily once they are assembled.
I know Chartwell hutches come flat packed.

Ah, that explains it, that was what she asked, was it a flat pack, I was totally confused! It only would be if an elephant stood on it, and actually I think it might still be standing even then!

Back