Hutch Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
:tickedoff:
just been looking through the free ads for hutches and its amazing what people call large hutches!
one thats 3 feet long! :o i want at least 4ft and no one puts the size of the hutches in their ads!
so chaps ad chapesses!
what would be you minimum size for a small medium large extra large hutches?
also looked in Pets at home and saw my perfect hutch for my 7 guineas horde the Petworth 6 6ft by 3ft its huge! but ideal and the O~H has said he'll buy it for me! O0 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Ron,

I would say 3x2 is really small but fine for a lone pig.
4x2 small but ok for 2 pigs.
5x2 larger ok for 3 pigs.
6x2 large ok for 4 pigs.
7x2 massive ok for 5 pigs.

That's what I go by anyway. :) At the mo I have Cuzzy in a 3.5x1.5 Nero3 and my 2 bonded sets in two 4x2 c&c cages for the winter.

Louise
:)

I have to say, I think 5ft is the minimum for 2 piggies..hence mine have a 7ft

whats a 3 x 2 ? any piccies of how big the cage should be for how many piggys etc ? so it will be easier to see as well as know ? ::)

Oh right but arent they being abit overboaurd as most people dont have that size :-\ I mean most people dont give their piggys that much room and stick them in blocks that are just small squares and i know myself i dont give my piggys that much room as their sizes are just what they think ?
I give mine plenty of room but there getting changed around soon :laugh:

In the summer, mine are in a double decker hutch 72" x 27"..in the winter, they are in a 27" x 84" cage..

I would be reluctant to keep a pair in anything smaller than 27" x 56" permanently. (by that, I mean leaving in the cage/hutch that size for ever...to me, a few hours run time does not really make up for a small cage)

iloveanimals said:
Oh right but arent they being abit overboaurd as most people dont have that size :-\ I mean most people dont give their piggys that much room and stick them in blocks that are just small squares and i know myself i dont give my piggys that much room as their sizes are just what they think ?

No offence meant but, don't you think its best to try & give your pigs as much room as possible for their well being?.

iloveanimals said:
whats a 3 x 2 ? any piccies of how big the cage should be for how many piggys etc ? so it will be easier to see as well as know ? ::)

& also why would you want to know what that size of hutch looks like? :(. as most people now advise that its not adequate for more then one piggie?.

Of course i cant give them any more space as i have no room untill i get more hutches built and they have plenty of room at the moment anyway i was just saying about their cage sizes and they are a bit big for how many piggys there on about ?

Plus i wasnt just on about that specific cage size i meant cant people post piccies of the 3x2 or 4x2 or whatever and then say how many piggys its suitable for thats all to let people see what size is best suited for how many piggys O0

iloveanimals said:

I dont think their sizes are overboard. Going on their MINIMUM size guides they say 4ft x 2ft for 2 pigs, 5ft x 2ft for 3 pigs and 6ft x 2ft for 4 pigs, thats not exactly excessive. Pigs need plenty of space, they do not do well in small cramped hutches ;)
For my resident pigs I have them in the following

2 pairs each have a 5ft x 2ft hutch
2 pairs each have a 6ft x 2ft hutch
1 trio have a 6ft x 2ft hutch
a group of 5 have a 9ft x 2ft hutch
group of 9 have a large enclosure in one of my sheds.

If I had the space I would actually want to give them more space than that ;)

I had my 2 piggies in a 3ft x 2ft cage temporary it was ok for then but i wouldn't keep them in full time and they got time out everday. Mine are in a 4 1/2ft x 3ft hutch now and it's plenty room for my 3 but it's also tempoary cos i'm building a second floor next year :)

Some poor piggies end up in tiny cages ther whole lives it's sad i saw one in a local shop whcih was tiny 24" long some of my hamsters havebigger cages tha that :(

Our three sows are now in their Thistle Hall from P@H with hutch snuggle and hutch hugger,it is a large double decker,and they have a Fennel Fold run attatched all day!,I would like to add one more piggie to join them ,but defo no more than 4.My daughters 2 babies are in a Nero 4 with the use of a Cand C run during the day[when it arrives},and the 2 black girls who have never had a life b4 as they were kept in a tiny hutch and never went in a run are at mo in a 4x3ft hutch,but when they gain a little confidence they are being transferred to a 5x3 double decker,they all need as much room as poss...sx

My hutches are
10ft x 21" - 3 girls share
7.5ft x 2ft - 1 boy, 2 girls share
5ft x 22" - 3 single boys have 1 each
7ft x 2ft - 1 boy, 1 girl share
5ft x 2ft with a 3ft x 21" extension - 2 boys share

My boys are in a Nero three (3.5x1.5) and I concerned that it's not big enough even though they do spend most of the day when I am in out of their cage. At the minute they have the settee to themselves!

I ave a trio of a boars in thistle hall which is 4ft by 2ft (double decker) but then they have a 4ft by 4ft c n c cage attached to that all the time and my pair of boars have a 4ft by 6ft c and c cage :). I would love to give mine something bigger but that is all the shed space I have lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back