Hutch set up pics and ideas

aredgrave90

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All!

I thought that it might be nice to start up a thread where people can share their hutch set-up pics, with a view to pooling advice, tips and ideas. I find that hutches are harder than cages when trying to make them interesting!

My two sows live in a 5 foot by 2 foot hutch. For most of the year, I keep the hutch on a walled and roofed patio outside. This winter has been really cold, however, so I brought them in to the conservatory.

I use a heater to keep the temperature at 12 to 15 degrees, but also kept the protections that I would have used anyway if the hutch was still in the garden. The outside of the hutch is insulated with both foam pads and bubble wrap. It also has a hutch cover, a number of blankets, and Snuggglesafe heat pads in each of their hideys. As you can see, I've been using cardboard to line the hutch inside, because I've found that it helps keep the heat in.

Anyway! Some modifications that I made to hutch.... Neither of my girls will use a ramp, so I took it out and replaced the floor to give them more space for roaming. During the day, they play downstairs, and/or in their play pen. I put them back upstairs late afternoon so they're warm and comfy cosy!

My girls will also not share a bedroom. I fixed this issue by removing the divider to create one open living space, and then I put them in a hidey house each. I sit the hideys on a raft of hay with more on top to insulate. I replenish this with feeding hay several times a day, as I've found that they like to get up on their back legs to hunt out the tastiest pieces!

Everything else you can see on the picture (obligatory photos of my girls included 😍). Looking forward to your feedback and to seeing your hutches!

Cheers,
Amy

Attachments

• 20221218_165824.webp
    20221218_165824.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221218_171100.webp
    20221218_171100.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221218_171033.webp
    20221218_171033.webp
    51.1 KB · Views: 19