Hutch recommendations

Jemima

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello. I am reluctantly moving my piggies outdoors (when warm enough). They are currently in a C&C, and I would like to get them a spacious and secure outdoor hutch.
Can anyone recommend something that isn't a ridiculous amount of money? I obviously don't want to buy something cheap either.
My husband is a carpenter, so I am wondering whether to try to persuade him to make something... if you have done this, perhaps you could share a photo of your DIY hutch build?

Home and Roost, Chartwell hutches are good.
If I remember rightly your piggies are boys - you will need a 6ft hutch.

My dad has made hutches for me in the past. I don’t have them now but they basically came out the same as commercial hutches. The difference was we were able to make them sturdier, give them more of an overhang on the roof, and make them with thicker wood.
Whether it’s cheaper to do so now vs buying given the rise in cost of building materials I don’t know.

Home and Roost, Chartwell hutches are good.
If I remember rightly your piggies are boys - you will need a 6ft hutch.

My dad has made hutches for me in the past. I don’t have them now but they basically came out the same as commercial hutches. The difference was we were able to make them sturdier, give them more of an overhang on the roof, and make them with thicker wood.
Whether it’s cheaper to do so now vs buying given the rise in cost of building materials I don’t know.
Yes, that's right. I have two boars. They will be close to the house under a shelter, around the side. I don't really want to move them out, but we do need our office space back!
I was looking at the 6ft double storey charter well. They have a double story C&C and I think they would enjoy another one... As they aren't fond of snuggling together and appreciate distance when they feel like it!

Back