Hutch reccomendations

daisyblue

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all newbie here.

I'm looking into getting a pair of guinea pigs either from rescue or breeder. Currently looking at hutch options. They would be outside, but in bad weather could have access to a shed, obvs thermal and waterproof cover on as well if needed. What hutches do you all recommend? Chartwell or any others? Also single or double storey hutches?
Garden is fully enclosed, so plenty space for them to be out in grass when weather allows.

Don't want to pick a wrong setup to be refused by rescues.

Hello and welcome 🙂 It’s great you are doing your research before getting your guinea pigs.

To be honest, you are best to ask your local rescues what their recommendations and requirements are as different rescues have different requirements as some rescues will only rehome to outdoor homes if the guinea pigs can come indoors during the winter months usually from October time until May time for example

We will always recommend to rescue rather than breeder as with one of our recommended rescues, you are guaranteed a healthy pair of guinea pigs and will have lifelong support and the rescue will take the guinea pigs back should your circumstances change, you will not get this from a pet shop or breeder although we also understand that not everyone can rescue and your piggies will be welcomed to the forum wherever you get them from

But generally a 5ft single story hutch for a pair of sows or a 6ft single story hutch for a pair of boars with a separate secure run for nice weather is generally recommended x

Last edited:
Great thanks. Yes I am going to message my local rescue places for reccomendations, just didn't want to buy a setup to be refused.

I have a Chartwell 6ft hutch. My piggies used to be outside at my old house. When I moved to Dorset they went in the garage. I have adopted piggies from my local rescue and the Chartwell hutch was acceptable to them.

Welcome

Chartwell single storey hutches are what I would recommend, but you should consult a recur before buying anything to ensure they agree with the housing.

Double hutches are fine but piggies need their space to be big enough on a single level (they aren’t natural climbers), so you could go to the expense of a double hutch to find they won’t use the upper level. Also, ramps can pose problems for some pairs in terms of dominance.

We would encourage you to go to a rescue, not a breeder for the reasons Claire has stated.

Back