hutch ramp

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I'd much appreciate a few tips on how to teach my piggy to go up and down the ramp in his hutch. He used to use the ramp all the time, but all the sudden he's just stopped. And I'm stuck trying to get him to use it again.

If he’s used it before and now won’t I would suggest getting him checked by a vet to see if he’s got an injury or pain that you might not be able to detect.

He may also have fallen off the tank at some point and have decided now he will not use it again.

How old is he? How steep is the ramp? Does it have sides? Does it have a non slip surface?

I doubt he is injured because he is still very active, (jumping, popcorning, running, etc.) and is eating well as usual. I suspect he isn't using the ramp anymore because everything he wants and needs is in the bottom level of his hutch, so he has no motivation to go up the ramp at all. However I will still give him a brief physical check myself just to make sure. I'm in a fairly isolated location, so I can't see a vet very easily.
He is around 1 1/2 years old, the ramp isn't very steep and has a non-slip surface but lacks sides.

I was going to suggest taking him to the vet to check for any injuries. When I had a ramp in my hutch, I stuck an old bit of carpet to it with waterproof carpet tape and my piggies found it a lot easier to go up and down as their feet gripped it better. If your ramp lacks sides he may be scared to use it as he may think he'll fall off. Can you put sides on it about 3 inches deep?

One of my piggies (Ruby) used to love her ramp, and then one day, for no reason at all she simply decided she wasn't going to use it anymore.
If you have ruled out physical injury, and he has everything he needs on one level then he may just be done with the ramp.
Piggies are naturally ground roamers, so I don't think the motivation to use a ramp (which must feel unnatural for them) is that high in some pigs.

It's been a while that he hasn't been using the ramp, and he hasn't lost any weight. As well as being very energetic, having a good apatite, and being overall very happy, I think I can safely rule out him having any sort of injury. He used to zoom up the ramp when he was an energetic pup and in his yearly adult hood (around 1 year), but now he's 1 1/2 years, seems to have decided not to use the ramp. I like your idea, @Betsy, of using old carpet on his ramp, but there is no need because the ramp I have already has a non-slip floor. I may ad a side to the ramp and see if he uses it again, but I doubt he would. Thank you all for your helpful replies and ideas! 😊

Back