hutch owners - is there a best hutch to buy?

• Thread starter Thread starter owl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

owl

i've got a large 5 ft indoor cage but also want to get a hutch for my 2 piggies to go outside during the summer. I've been looking at them in pet shops/garden centres/ebay - what a minefield ::)

are there any particular makes that are better than others?

i know size wise bigger the better, still haven't decided on an upstairs/downstairs or a single storey? any opinions? i would worry about them falling down the stairs, i have read this can happen :(

any help greatly appreciated ;)

owl xx

Someone recommended Rabbit Shack to me and I then noticed these in my local petshop. They are sturdier than a lot of shop bought hutches and come in lots of sizes and designs. Someone was selling them on ebay at good prices - extremedistributors I think they were called.

I am having one handmade via someone off ebay. I gave him the measurements and I got the email yesterday to say its ready - yipppppeeeeeee - am hoping to get it on Saturday. Will let you know what its like and the quality etc - he has got very good feedback.

Its a 4 foot double, but with two sleeping areas and living areas, rather than the run underneath as I have runs in the garden already. He is going to animal friendly stain it and its costing £65 which I thought was a great price.

Will put piccies on soon - and of Jeff with (hopefully) his new hutch mate, Skip.

ooh yes, that sounds good - i never thought of having a custom made new build ;)

is yours having a ramp so they can use both levels?

i have looked a rabbit shack and they do seem to be sturdier.

look forward to hearing what you think of it and seeing your pics then!

thanks,

owl xx

Hi Owl, its not having a ramp as I want the hutch for fostering which is why I am having two sep sleeping and living areas. They will, in effect, be two sep hutches. I have runs the garden (if the weather ever picks up) and am currently having to bring them in for a run in the bathroom (has wipe clean flooring).

The man advertised the type with the run underneath and the ramp going down, so its something he can do. He is in Rugeley, Staffs if that is close to you at all.

Will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back