hutch covers

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
just a quick one this morning.. people who keep their piggies outside, have you taken off the hutch cover for the summer now and if not, when will you be doing it? my hutch is also in a ‘shed’ so it will be slightly warmer!

It’s still too cold at night for outdoor piggies to be without covers plus hutches still need protection from summer rain.
I leave mine on year round but just make sure the front cover is pulled up but as mine are in the shed and come summer it’s too hot for them in there anyway so taking the covers off would not make the slightest bit of difference in my case!
Thermal covers are said to also help keep hutches cool but I cant say I’ve ever found that to be the case even on my outdoor hutches.

It’s still too cold at night for outdoor piggies to be without covers plus hutches still need protection from summer rain.
I leave mine on year round but just make sure the front cover is pulled up but as mine are in the shed and come summer it’s too hot for them in there anyway so taking the covers off would not make the slightest bit of difference in my case!
Thermal covers are said to also help keep hutches cool but I cant say I’ve ever found that to be the case even on my outdoor hutches.
i did think so! its in a shed so out of the rain but like you say it gets cold at night, will keep it on for now!

See what actually happens in your shed using the thermometer.
If your shed going to be able to be insulated? (Stapling silver foil insulation to it may be a good idea). That will hopefully help keep it warmer also.

See what actually happens in your shed using the thermometer.
If your shed going to be able to be insulated? (Stapling silver foil insulation to it may be a good idea). That will hopefully help keep it warmer also.
yep, getting one put up on the wall! no its no insulated, more of a shelter then a shed, so will probably need a cover on it most of the time!

If it’ll keep them protected from wind and rain then it will definitely be of help, but yes, possibly keeping the covers on and certainly the fronts pulled down at night may have to happen for longer than when in a proper shed.

Perhaps when you get a chance, you could post a picture of the shelter set up so we can advise more specifically

If it’ll keep them protected from wind and rain then it will definitely be of help, but yes, possibly keeping the covers on and certainly the fronts pulled down at night may have to happen for longer than when in a proper shed.

Perhaps when you get a chance, you could post a picture of the shelter set up so we can advise more specifically
yes of corse! we are getting everything finished this morning so once its done i’ll get the pics!

Mine are in an insulated hutch and I’m still keeping the covers on. I actually gave them heat pads last week as I felt it was quite cold. And this was before nightfall.

Back