Hutch Cleaning In The Rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two brothers who are about 15 weeks. They are currently living in an outdoor hutch. What do people do when cleaning cage in bad weather. We've put them on the grass normally but today it's raining so hard. Our guinea pigs are very skittish and struggle being held yet. Anyone any tips? Thank you

Bring them inside into the kitchen for the time being. Please bring your hutch under cover for the winter.

If your hutch has 2 levels I would usher them into one level while you clean the other.
If your hutch doesn't have 2 levels how about ushering them into a cosy or tunnel and lifting them in the cosy or tunnel into a box and popping the box inside or under a big umbrella/parasol to keep dry.
If all else fails, just usher them into one end of the hutch while you do the other. However, I usually find that they are far too nosey to let you get on with it without a little help!

I watch the weather forecast!only clean out when weather is dry,I have a pen in shed that i use to put piggies in,put fleece on bottom.i spot check daily,using litter trays it is easy to target those areas to clean.you could use a sturdy cat carrier lined with newspaper and hay,whilst you are cleaning hutch?:)

Never even thought about the weather. Yesterday was lovely and they enjoyed time on the grass in the afternoon. Will be checking next week though. We've managed to fit the outdoor pen in the children's shed with some hay. They will be moving in the shed for winter soon, so will have more room and should nbe easier to clean.

I simply get soaked doing it lol .. I do part at a time. This living quarters first and they'll go into the bed.. well at first they did popeye is too nosey now lol then do the bedroom bit and they go into the main area x

You could put them into a carrier or box for temporary purposes for cleaning and put them in the house. I have a double hutch and as said I remove the ramp and then clean upstairs, then move pigs up and clean bottom while distracting them with cut grass. Grass is great for keeping them busy, I have to do this other wise on the odd occasion they re-appear back downstairs after falling down the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back