Hutch And Run - How Much Combined Space?

sbenbow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All,

We are looking to potentially get two guinea pigs for the kids (with us adults as the "primary carers"!). We have done a fair bit of research, but i can't find out too much on the amount of space they need as a "run" as well as a hutch.

We are looking to put the guinea pigs (and hutch) into the conservatory - it will be warmed during winter (temperature thermostat), with the potential to move the hutch outdoors (in the shade) in the summer to avoid any potential overheating

I was looking at the "Bluebell" hutch - two storey hutch - dims are 152cm long x 61cm deep x 112cm high. I know this will be fine as a hutch for two piggies - but will it also be fine as a run during the day? Most posts i read say that they need a lot of space to "play" - hopefully they will have this within this safe environment (as well as being let out at various points during the dayt to play too - but likely only half an hour at a time!).
upload_2017-10-8_8-29-56.webp
Thoughts and ideas welcome as we want our (potential) guests to enjoy themselves!

I let my two boys have their floortime in my bedroom. I block of any holes and remove any wires and let them have the space thats left. Outside I use the top of their cage which isn't too big so I'm currently doing a bit of DIY and constructing a simple square run with shelter for them.

I recently did a thread showing my boys enjoying floortime I'll link it so you can see how much space they get. :)

Floortime

Even if you bought a puppy pen or some grids so you can make a safe zone for them to play in the conservatory could work. They do reasonably big hexagonal runs etc for rabbits and guinea pigs.

I have two diy cages and I love them. They are customizable and efficient. I use wire grids I bought from bath and body works and coroplast from some election signs my grandpa got out of a dumpster some where. I also have two pens for the grass and floortime and a baby pool i can put a blanket in for minimal mess.

I have the bluebell hutch and I'll be honest with you, it's rubbish and I would get something else :)) It's not warm or sturdy, wish I'd never got it lol.

Would you make a run in the conservatory? :)

Back